• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit straying on street...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Last week I walked down my street (rarely do without dogs but was on way to pick car up from garage!) and I saw a little black rabbit sat on someone's front steps. I tried to catch it but it ran off. I knocked on the door of the house but no answer. I posted on a local page on Facebook and a couple of people on the street commented saying they'd seen it too and tried to catch it, it had been out for about a week. It does belong to one of the houses and apparently it goes back at night. Well that seems odd since rabbits are most active at night! I've seen it since when walking dogs both late night and early morning. I've seen it pretty much every time I've walked down street with dogs but obviously it runs away. It's been out in the pouring rain, although it doesn't seem fazed at all! I'm obviously worried that it's going to either get run over (although it does seem to stay away from the road - it's a cul de sac so not a busy road and large grassed area running alongside rd) or it will get caught by a dog/fox/cat?! It doesn't run straight away, I can get quite close even with the dogs and my dog spotted it and tried to chase it the other night, luckily he was on the lead but if he hadn't been I'm not sure the rabbit would have been quick enough! Although my dogs are obviously used to rabbits and I'm not sure they'd harm one really but dogs are dogs at the end of the day! The issue I'm having though is people know who the rabbit belongs to, if I did manage to catch it, I'd have to hand it back to them when they obviously haven't provided a secure enclosure for it, I'm presuming it lives alone or else there'd be two escapees, or surely they'd do more to get it back... I'm also worried about the kind of accommodation it will have, it would seem so mean to take it from this new found freedom for it to get shut into a hutch alone :( but of course it's not safe and the weather is only going to get worse. I don't really know what to do or whether to do anything? Help!!

Where do you live? If people know where you are, one or two local forum members may be able to help you catch it.

In Oldham, not seen the bunny today funnily enough!! May be hiding more with more people around on a weekend or maybe it's finally been caught. Will see if I spot it later tonight when I take the dogs out again.

A carrier with something tasty in and a string or long wire on the door (practice open and closing) might work better if you can get close but not touch.

A carrier with something tasty in and a string or long wire on the door (practice open and closing) might work better if you can get close but not touch.

I could kick myself as I did manage to touch it after it ran into some shrubs but I was too conscious of not hurting it that I didn't get hold. The problem is more what to do if I do catch it, would be reluctant to let it go back to owners!

You could hand it in as a stray, if they aren't fussed about it then they won't go looking. Or you could report it to the RSPCA, particularly if you know the house it's coming from, and they might give them some instructions on care.

Id try to catch it if you can, as I don't think it will survive the winter without proper shelter. He may be a much-loved pet that escaped and they've been unable to catch him. You can also start up a dialogue with them and maybe help them make the garden more escape-proof. Or, like Tamsin said, if you don't feel comfortable turning up on their doorstep and handing him over, just hand him in to the local rspca/rescue or put up 'found' posters, but remember if you do this not to include a photo ( to discourage a randomer from claiming him). If they're not bothered about him the owners may not bother claiming him.

I agree that he needs catching or he won't survive the winter, even if a predator/car doesn't get him. I'd worry about what to do with him once I'd caught him.

Well I'm hoping the bunny is now home and safe as I haven't seen it all weekend or this morning, and since Tuesday when I first saw it I saw it pretty much every time I went out with the dogs (3 times a day!) so fingers crossed it's now safe and secure!

Back