• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I let my Rabbit hump until his neuter?

missy5408

Young Bun
Hello,

I wanted to ask what everyone recommends or if you have advice on "enabling" your rabbit to hump something. Like giving him a stuffed toy to act out his puberty spurt. I only ask this because he is trying to hump my leg during floor time and cage cleaning, and if letting him do this in his cage will it make this behavior worse or wear him out and prevent him from doing it. I am getting him neutered in January, but until then what would you all suggest? I know its an odd question but i wanted to know how other rabbit owners deal with this behavior. i just brush him off me and then continue to clean or let him explore,but its hard when he is under toe and i don't want to hurt him by stepping on him or what not. Thank you for reading this odd question and any response is welcome. Other suggestions are greatly welcomed as well.

Not an odd question at all..and we've given all our boys a soft fluffy cushion to 'love' until their neuter. .only Prudhoe continued to hump his daddy but he was extremely hormonal. .The others loved their cushions. ..and Bobo still has his even though he's neutered ages ago and has a wife.
I always feel sorry for the boys at this point. .must be so frustrating for them.

Yeah, well then there isn't any shame in letting him have a "furry Friend". Will allowing this effect his behavior towards me? and after his neuter? Or will he settle down and be like he was before he started the humping? SO many questions but i like to be informed. Thank you for your advice. I no it must be frustrating for any animal.

I would give him a soft toy or similar. If he doesn't have an outlet for his urges he may become aggressive. Well done getting him neutered anyway! It will take a while, maybe 6 weeks, for his hormones to calm down afterwards, but he will be a lot calmer and he'll start to smell really nice instead of 'potent'. Will you be bonding him with a girl friend do you think?

Just be careful with soft toys they don't chew them but other than that it's fine and shouldn't effect your relationship with him later. Watch out for spraying if he's that hormonal though, they can take a fancy and decide the best way to show it is to squirt urine at you :roll:

Be careful he doesn't hump too much as they can get sore and swollen bits :oops:. I used to try and distract Jasper instead as he would just hump continually given the chance. He used to drive me mental - it's horrible watching them so distracted by their hormones. He also sprayed me right in the face, which was lovely :lol:.

It's so nice when they're neutered and their actual personalities shine through. My humpy, spraying Jasper is now the most affectionate, silly character :love:

Thank you all for the advice and the spray warning. I will have to let him have a toy, its seems weird but i can understand. Thank you

Back