• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying Female Bunny

Julia25

Alpha Buck
O.K, i know that you should neuter your rabbits as soon as possible.

I have a male bunny who i received neutered already last year, i recently have just bonded him with an unspayed female. I found it easier to bond them together as she was interested in him a lot.

Anywho, the point I'm trying to make is that the female is 1yr and 3 months now. She has shown no signs of aggression to me or her husbun. Im just wondering if i should still neuter her or if i can wait (will she show signs of aggression later in life).

Personally I would book her in to be neutered, for a number of reasons. First, the risk of uterine cancer in later life is ridiculously high in rabbits, and the surgery undertaken before bunny is 2 years old dramatically reduces the risk, and obviously doing the surgery on a young, healthy rabbit is far easier than trying to attempt the operation as an emergency in a poorly bunny because they have developed a uterine problem. The older a rabbit gets, the harder the operation is, as rabbits lay down abdominal fat as they age, so it makes it much harder for the vet to access the right area and do the operation safely. It's still possible and safe to spay older bunnies, but it's just that it is safer and easier when they are younger. And of course a younger, fitter bunny is more likely to cope better with the anaesthetic than a younger one.

I would ensure that the vet is competent at doing rabbit spays and does them successfully regularly, and take your male bunny along with her so that they can stay together at the vets and throughout the recovery (unless there are specific clinical reasons why they need to be separated - but they usually don't).

Good luck :D

i would definitely neuter her asap. her hormones may cause her to constantly pester and fall out with your male. female rabbits are also t a high risk of uterine cancer if left unspayed, so the sooner the better!

O.K, i know that you should neuter your rabbits as soon as possible.

I have a male bunny who i received neutered already last year, i recently have just bonded him with an unspayed female. I found it easier to bond them together as she was interested in him a lot.

Anywho, the point I'm trying to make is that the female is 1yr and 3 months now. She has shown no signs of aggression to me or her husbun. Im just wondering if i should still neuter her or if i can wait (will she show signs of aggression later in life).

I would echo everything Santa has said. Getting her spayed will be the best thing you can do to ensure she has a long and happy life with you and her husbun x

Back