• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a formal complaint about a veterinary surgery

You need to write to the Practice Manager. In the letter you need to include full details of all the issues you are unhappy with. Try to keep it 'formal' rather than emotional and try not to actually apportion blame at this stage. You can state that you expect an acknowledgement of receipt of your letter within 48 hours. The Practice Manager should then speak with all the Vets/Vet Nurses involved and you should then be given the opportunity to meet with the main Vet involved to discuss things face to face. This should all occur within a reasonable amount of time. But with it being Christmas and New Year things may be a bit delayed.

If you remain dissatisfied with the response to your complaint you then need to contact the RCVS

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/concerns/

I made a complaint to Vets4Pets and got nowhere very much with it.

I could have then taken it up with RCVS but having discussed it with my vet (who kindly broke protocol to pick up the pieces), she would have got her hand slapped for treating the patient when another vet had messed up, so much as I wanted to take it further I decided not to take it up with the RCVS as I was grateful for assistance at the time my bunny desperately needed help. (He was neutered by V4P on behalf of Support Adoption but they failed to notice/treat an infection that could have killed him left untreated, as I was concerned I went to my own vet for a second opinion and she cleaned up the mess. Allegedly I should have gone V4P for a second opinion but all I was concerned about was that the rabbit survived and did not suffer unnecessarily).

Another reason I didn't pursue it with RVCS is there only seems to be anything in place for gross errors where they can be struck off, there doesn't seem to be anything in between where they receive a warning, or given a probationary period where any other errors are counted or anything. The system is a bit lacking for my liking. I think yours is a very strong case though and I would take it as far as you can.... nobody would get away with doing that to one of my rabbits either. :evil: I hope you get something useful from the process.

I have been through this process, acting as representative for a rescue.

Firstly I arranged a formal meeting with the Clinical Director of the practice in order to discuss the issues. I was not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting and his proposals to ensure that this would not happen again.

On behalf of the rescue, I then took the matter forward as a formal complaint to the RCVS. This was a serious issue involving two rabbits and what should have been routine castrations. The RCVS investigated, but did not rule in our favour. I considered that we had a watertight case, we had graphic photos at various stages of the process, medical reports from my vet (who had to put right the infected mess made by the rescue's vet), medical notes from the original vet, a number of witnesses, but it was not enough.

The RCVS complaints form asks what outcome you would like to see....our request was only that the vet responsible should be made to undertake additional training and update her knowledge with regard to rabbits, in order to make sure this did not happen again. The RCVS made no recommendations and she was free to continue practicing and operating with her current level of sub-standard knowledge and expertise.

I was, and still am, very disappointed in the outcome and it left me with little faith in the RCVS. I am glad we went through the process as at least we tried.

Thankyou very much for your thoughts everyone.I will be pursuing this further and will begin with a carefully worded letter to the practice manager.

Back