• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is it about this season?!

catxx

Mama Doe
I help look after the RR FB, we've had 3 requests to take in rabbits from private homes in the last 2 days, including 2 adults and a litter of 4 babies. We almost never get requests via FB, just the main email which I don't deal with. The rescue is full with a waiting list.

Any other rescues suffering the dreaded Xmas influx already?

Last edited:
:( Well hopefully I'll be rescuing a ladybun from somewhere come January, so I can promise one more space!

Apparently Caroline is also getting a lot of calls recently with people using the excuse that they "didn't know how much work/how expensive/how time consuming" rabbit ownership would be. NO EXCUSE. It takes literally 30 seconds on Google to pull up loads of amazing websites explaining JUST how much work it's going to be. So frustrating!!

It feels like every step we make with RR working on educating we get knocked back two steps by people being wallies like that.

I have heard of that before, in fact I heard it from a lady who runs a rescue. It's like people have a pre Christmas clear out and somehow that includes their pets :cry:

She actually used to find the people who rang 2 days before Christmas and asked how much a kitten was and "could we buy 2 and pick them up late on Christmas Eve so that the kids won't know until Christmas morning?" Much harder to deal with. The rescue actually didn't rehome to anyone in the 2 weeks over Christmas!

I have heard of that before, in fact I heard it from a lady who runs a rescue. It's like people have a pre Christmas clear out and somehow that includes their pets :cry:

She actually used to find the people who rang 2 days before Christmas and asked how much a kitten was and "could we buy 2 and pick them up late on Christmas Eve so that the kids won't know until Christmas morning?" Much harder to deal with. The rescue actually didn't rehome to anyone in the 2 weeks over Christmas!

Urgh! I would imagine we're getting similar calls but, thankfully for my sanity, I don't deal with the phone calls!

We often work with adoptees for weeks, sometimes months, finding them the right pair and getting the housing sorted so visit one week and rehome the next for us is rare! We do have at least 1 pair reserved at the moment who are being collected AFTER the Christmas madness.

"didn't know how much work/how expensive/how time consuming" rabbit ownership would be. NO EXCUSE. It takes literally 30 seconds on Google to pull up loads of amazing websites explaining JUST how much work it's going to be.
Indeed! I went straight to the RSPCA website: what animal lover wouldn't?! It lead me to RWAF and many other fun and informative places (who doesn't want to squee over loads of pictures and videos of cute bunnies being loved and looked after well?!). And people say we're a nation of animal lovers... :evil: Even back in the '80s our rabbit was a family undertaking (well, I was only 4 ;P). No Excuse indeed!

Apparently Caroline is also getting a lot of calls recently with people using the excuse that they "didn't know how much work/how expensive/how time consuming" rabbit ownership would be. NO EXCUSE. It takes literally 30 seconds on Google to pull up loads of amazing websites explaining JUST how much work it's going to be. So frustrating!!

It feels like every step we make with RR working on educating we get knocked back two steps by people being wallies like that.

A girl I work with has just let a rabbit go to a rescue - for this very reason despite me telling her right from the beginning that a rabbit is an unsuitable pet for a 5 year old and a 3 year old - and that they are jolly hard work and if I knew then what I know now I doubt I would have rabbits (even though I absolutly adore my lot and have no regrets whatsoever). She ignored me and got a cute little white lop - who has now been handed into a rescue poor little guy. I will never understand why people don't LISTEN or read or take advice - why do people always think that they know better - to the detriment of these little complex but beautiful souls. Makes me so very cross.:evil:
Only saving grace is that she ignored the idiots who were telling her to just let it go in a field somewhere :shock:

Back