• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites.. Nooooo!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Kerbie! Just one thing after another!

He had an X-ray the other week which showed his front molar being the culprit - we have Zantac, metoclopramide, metacam and baytril for him. He hates us but whatever :p His tooth is a bit loose and dark around the base so ruling out infection first.

He went back for a check up and teeth are looking as good as they can be! Since the meds his appetite has been great, he has been back from the vets for about 25 minutes now and has been eating hay since then :) (although we are having to go out 2 times a day and pick grass for him as he prefers that and only then it has to be thick blades) He loves the meadow hay from The Range :)

Anyway, I have noticed over the past few days he has been shaking his head a few times a day, he actually has ear mites and a small build up of wax! Hopefully we caught it quick enough!

Will the canaural on its own be okay? :) we also have Xeno but not sure why? It wasn't our regular vet but we have seen her before.

The combination of Canaural and Xeno should zap the mites. The canaural has a steroid in it which should reduce any inflammation in his ear xx

The combination of Canaural and Xeno should zap the mites. The canaural has a steroid in it which should reduce any inflammation in his ear xx

Thanks Jane :D Not looking forward to administering the drops.. :lol: Do I need to go in as far as I can? I imagine he will be head flicking a lot afterwards! X

Thanks Jane :D Not looking forward to administering the drops.. :lol: Do I need to go in as far as I can? I imagine he will be head flicking a lot afterwards! X

You dont push the tip of the applicator into his ear, just squeeze a couple of drops in and then massage the base of his ear for a bit to disperse the drops. I'd then wipe away any leakage. Yes, he is likely to take exception to having the drops put in. But hopefully he will settle down again quickly.

Back