• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re. lone bunny

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
This might be long so I apologise in advance! I have two bonded and spayed female rabbits. They are lovely wee rabbits, so friendly and I adore them. They are in a 10ft x 10ft converted dog kennel (inside part 4 x 10 and run 6 x 10).

I saw an ad on a local selling page, not an animal selling page but a general one... for three female rabbits with their hutch. People were tagging others left right and centre. So heart over head, I messaged the woman and asked a few questions. One of which was are they spayed. Her answer was 'I'm not sure' so I took that to be a 'no'. She also told me they were ten months old. With people most likely impulse responding with things like 'oh little [insert child's name] would love them!' I thought it could be a disaster waiting to happen. Not only with the three, unspayed young rabbits but the hutch was totally unsuitable. I decided to get them and planned to find a rescue space for them. I arranged to get them the next night but someone messaged her to get them that night so I had a message saying if I wanted them, I had to get them that night or this other woman would get them...

Once home though, I got too attached to them. They needed spayed and new housing. I didn't have the money for everything so decided to get the money together for spaying first, as it was most crucial. Temporarily, I blocked off part of the garden so they could have free range of that when I was home, giving them more space. Housing was always going to be difficult due to lack of space in the garden and the layout but I was going to figure something out.

However, four weeks after getting them and before managing to get them spayed, I woke me morning to find the smallest of them dead. She had fur pulled out, bald patches and bite marks. I was so shocked, never witnessed any fighting etc but there was no other explanation. I thought they had may be ganged up on her and in the confines of the hutch (they were shut away at night) the space was too limited that she had nowhere to escape to. The other two seemed okay and the next week went by without incident. Eight days later though, OHs mum was round and as she was leaving she said hello to all the bunnies, and I watched as she did so. An hour later I went out to feed them before bed, and found one lying, struggling to breathe. I carried her into the house and she died in my arms within ten minutes. I couldn't believe it after her being fine an hour earlier...I was devastated. I hold so much guilt over the fact I didn't separate them after the first died, but I didn't think it was a specific rabbit... please no one tell me it was my fault, I had enough of that when I posted about it in a FB group. But my worries were right... I just failed to prevent it... I didn't think they would fight so soon especially after never having seen aggression between them.

Now though, it leaves me with a lone rabbit. So, I need to decide what to do. I have decided on two options. The first is to rehome her, preferably if I can find a rescue space for her. The other is to have her spayed and then when the hormones are settled, attempt to bond her with my pair. Now, my first thoughts were fear that she could do that same to my pair but I have been assured aggressive rabbits can be totally changed when spayed and can be bonded successfully. However, I hear so many mixed opinions on bonding when a pair is involved. Some people are very against it in case the bonded pair fall out and others have done it very successfully... some people with quite large groups too... so opinions seem split on it... so I don't know whether to risk it or not. But I don't want to leave lone bunny on her own... I just don't know what to do...

Any opinions and advice on the situation would be much appreciated.

I am useless with bonding, but wanted to wish you the best of luck. I hope you get some sound advice..

All the best
fee x

Oh gosh what a terrible thing to have happened.
I have just bonded a trio, I was very worried about trying it incase the original pair fell out but luckily it went fine. I really do believe it all depends on the temperament of the bunnies involved. My original pair were very placid, and during their bond they showed no aggression or dominance. My new girl seemed placid, but as I hadn't seen her with another rabbit it was a bit of guess work, but I thought even if she turned out to be dominant the original pair were so placid they would let her be top bun and hopefully they would all get along which they do.
It's awful what has happened, and your remaining unspayed female was obviously the dominant one in the group, but I don't think it means she is can't be successfully bonded with other rabbits. But she would need to be spayed and wait 6weeks or so before you try. And naturally you would need to keep them supervised during the bonding.
Good luck.

Sorry you have been having a sad time with your rabbits. They are not the easy pets we sometimes mistake them for. Firstly, are you sure the remaining rabbit is a female as I wonder whether you had 3 boys instead or 2 boys and 1 female? I think you will need to get this one neutered and if it happens to be a boy then you could be successful in bonding him with your 2 females. Obviously they would have to meet on neutral ground. On the other hand, if this one is a female then it could be more difficult for your existing pair to accept her. Your best course of action would be to pair her off with a neutered boy.

Thank you for the replies.

My two rabbits are very friendly but I have never introduced another rabbit to them so not sure how they would react to another... I don't see Juno being so problem at all but Luna is a bit more bolder and cheeky so imagine if either have an issue, it will be her. As for the lone rabbit, I never saw any actual aggression from her and they all ate happily together... however, I never did see any of the groom each other... actually, having thought about it, the only issue I saw was once when they clocked my two and the remaining bunny did stomp about the hutch and chase the smallest rabbit but didn't actually touch her... I forgot about that, it only happened once and it was the day after they arrived.

I am sure they were all female. I sexed them all as being female but not being an expert at it, I posted on a rabbit group on FB and it was unanimously agreed they were all female. I really would prefer her to be a boy but I am sure she isn't...

If it was me I would get a neutered buck from a rescue and have two pairs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back