• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies' behaviour towards ill partners

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I might be imagining it, but when Apache was really poorly on Fri/Sat, it seemed liked Skye was completely ignoring him. She wouldn't sit with him, or groom him at all. They're normally really close.

Late Saturday/early Sunday when he was feeling better, she started spending time with him again.

Has anyone else noticed things like this? Or do your bunnies have more compassion? :oops:

Yes, I've often noticed this. But I think it's their natural survival instinct that kicks in. Hard for us to witness but to be honest, when I've had a poorly (or dying) bunny, they've made every effort to go off and be by themselves anyway.

Yes thats fairly normal - its rare for a bunny to be supportive as it transgresses all instinct. I have had more supportive behaviour happen with really close pairs or even a group which has a close knit couple as the 'head' of the group but usually if the rabbits are of the not so 'rabbity' type (I know that sounds odd but rabbity instinct seems stronger in some buns than others - agoutis for example in my experience are often very rabbity though obviously others may not feel that).

Teasal would not be separated from Florence even whilst she was in her last moments . . . Peaches would not leave Parslye's side even when he had passed away - she had to be physically removed after 24 hours and force fed. But for most once they are ill the others stay away.

matthew rabbit, a cuddlebun for me but aggressive in his private life, will attack a sick bunny. his own sister, ill after her spay - I had to separate them because he bit her etc.

Gosh :shock: It's nice to know Skye isn't a bunny psychopath.

Come to think of it, I think Apache was pretty indifferent to Sorrel when she was passing too.

Bailey was usually the dominant bun and when she was unwell a couple of months ago Binky took full advantage of becoming boss - ended up having to separate them :-( Still haven't managed to re-bond.

Poor Smudge led a terrible life when he was poorly, Willow incessantly chased him.. There was no aggression, just chasing,,,,

I think it's more self-preservation than lack of compassion- in a warren, if one sickens, you might all get ill and die, so shun the one that may kill you all to be on the safe side.

In the wild, I believe when the head of the warren, usually a male, gets old and weak, they get ousted by a younger stronger buck. Even the females have a hierarchy. Weaker rabbits can have their whiskers barbered or be thrown out of the warren :cry:

I agree its normal. I've even heard of bonds breaking down because the well rabbit attacks the sick one. I've only ever had one pair where the bun was supportive of her ill partner. She was never ill a day in her life but after we lost her husbun she went down hill so quickly. Their bond was touching but tragic at the end.

When Casper my bridge bunny was very ill last summer his wifeybun who adored him and was constantly by his side,sat well away from him and if he approached her she would move away.I used to feel bad for him but I think he was too poorly to worry much.My bun Harry has been unwell for most of the year and his wifeybun is constantly by his side washing his face and snuggling up to him so I guess it can be down to personality sometimes.Shes the perfect nurse and protects him from "nasty mummy"at med time by sitting right infront of him giving me "evils"

Back