• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benazepril (Fortekor) Dose

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

Please can anyone who has a rabbit on this drug tell me what your dose is and the reasons for being on it.

I'm asking as I have conflicting information from different sources. I WILL NOT be changing my dose on your answers, but discussing findings with my vet.

The dose rate I have from the Text Book of Rabbit Medicine V2 Molly Varga is 0.05mg per KG, the information I have found on her suggests many are using a much higher dose.

Example here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?255822-Administering-Fortekor

Many Thanks

Julia

Thanks Jane, this is why I am confused the dose rate I have is totally different at 0.05mg per kg

I have a 2.7kg rabbit on 1/8 of a tablet and been advised this is maximum dose. My vet has advised this on 2 sources, she is trying to find out more.

We do not have definitive diagnosis as I do not believe he is stable enough for an X ray. He has rapid belly breathing and has been on Septrin for 7 days then Ronaxan for 20 with no effect. He sometimes hiccups/coughs but other than the rapid belly movement he has no other signs. Dry nose and paws. Active, alert, plays, binkies, eats, poops.

So thoughts were, rather than infection - tumour or heart - hence trying the ACE inhibitor.

Thanks Jane, this is why I am confused the dose rate I have is totally different at 0.05mg per kg

I have a 2.7kg rabbit on 1/8 of a tablet and been advised this is maximum dose. My vet has advised this on 2 sources, she is trying to find out more.

We do not have definitive diagnosis as I do not believe he is stable enough for an X ray. He has rapid belly breathing and has been on Septrin for 7 days then Ronaxan for 20 with no effect. He sometimes hiccups/coughs but other than the rapid belly movement he has no other signs. Dry nose and paws. Active, alert, plays, binkies, eats, poops.

So thoughts were, rather than infection - tumour or heart - hence trying the ACE inhibitor.

I'm sorry for your bun.

Has he had a blood test to confirm kidney failure? I have had rabbits on Fortekor for two different reasons - kidney failure and heart failure, and found the dose differs as to the diagnosis.

No, Jane - what were you thinking?

MightyMAx, no blood tests no as we are thinking heart not kidneys

A mass within the chest cavity- eg a Thymoma- can cause the symptoms you describe, along with 'bulging eyes' when the Rabbit puts his head down or gets stressed. The Rabbits I have had who were diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure had the increased respiratory rate and/or effort. They appeared perfectly well within themselves initially too.

With CRF there would probably not be respiratory symptoms, more likely would be an increased water intake and urine output, unexplained weightloss etc.

Hope your Vet can help your Bun, it's such a worry when we dont know exactly what's wrong. I'm usually my own worst enemy in those situations and I tend to panic about 'worst case scenarios' before I actually have the facts. Thankfully my Vet knows what I'm like in that respect !!

A mass within the chest cavity- eg a Thymoma- can cause the symptoms you describe, along with 'bulging eyes' when the Rabbit puts his head down or gets stressed. The Rabbits I have had who were diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure had the increased respiratory rate and/or effort. They appeared perfectly well within themselves initially too.

With CRF there would probably not be respiratory symptoms, more likely would be an increased water intake and urine output, unexplained weightloss etc.

Hope your Vet can help your Bun, it's such a worry when we dont know exactly what's wrong. I'm usually my own worst enemy in those situations and I tend to panic about 'worst case scenarios' before I actually have the facts. Thankfully my Vet knows what I'm like in that respect !!

I'm a flapper too and my vet know it also!

I've noticed him drinking more, although not significant amounts. I'm just so confused about the dose - he's 2.7kg (NZW cross) and on 0.32mg which by what Ive read is no where near enough. Vet says if that dose is ineffective then we are back to considering an Xray. In my opinion that is a bad idea if there is the potential for a heart condition. He is very very skitty so there is no chance of a conscious, his RR increases by about 30% just from the vet trip. So, I need to know that we have given the Fortekor a chance at its correct dose. I was also considering whether frusol might help but one drug at a time...

ETA yes I've considered the possibility of Thyoma also, but again.... X ray.... GA for surgery (if possible) if it was..... all risks at this stage

Last edited:
An echocardiogram may be possible without sedation.

Thanks, I have found a link from Googling that, so I can ask my vet about that.

I just wish I could confirm this dose! In a post from yourself in 2010 you mentioned your rabbit Eddie had half a tablet, which seems to be what most rabbits have for heart issues.... my bun is above average size and on 1/4 that dose :?

Thanks for that. I am stumped I honestly don't know which way to go with this :-(

It sounds as though you have a good relationship with your Vet, so I am sure that having another discussion with her about possible options will help. As I mentioned before, I know how stressful it is to not know exactly what is wrong.

If your Vet has not already done so then maybe a call to the Rabbit Clinic up in Edinburgh could be useful :

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departm...ic-animal-and-wildlife/rabbit-clinic/overview

I had sox on fortekor but his was due to kidney disease I lost him In August sadly :cry:, but as soon as he started the meds, he really picked up, he had almost a good 2years extra with the help of the meds, I can't remember his dose now as I threw the med bottle away, I think it was 0.05 he was 1.1kg at his best, he was a mini lop, our vets made his meds up into a liquid form to make it easier for us to give him his daily medication each day by syringe

hope you can get your bunny stable and feeling alittle better x

Thanks Jane, yes I do and they are very good. The partner there is particularly helpful and open to discussion. The vet I spoke to today did say they she would get some other opinions on the dose rate for me. I called Holmes chapel today and they said to get my vet to call Molly on one of the days she is in. I will also suggest **** vet.

Mini Lop, sorry to hear you lost Sox, but glad the meds gave you extra time with him and I'm sure helped him feel much better. I crush the tablet, dissolve in about 0.4ml of water and then syringe into a fruited Shredded Wheat bite size - he gobbles it up no problem! One of the best tips I've ever been given!

In more positive news, he still hugely perky and supervised tonight's clean outs along with his Mrs. Bowls flying everywhere and much nose bonking and binkying. So for now I know hes happy, but I also know there is something not right that I need to get to the bottom of.

Thank you x

It's some reassurance that he's feeling well just now, and you have a little time to make adjustments and for your vet to seek another opinion.

Good luck :wave:

It's some reassurance that he's feeling well just now, and you have a little time to make adjustments and for your vet to seek another opinion.

Good luck :wave:

Thank you, if it wasn't for his belly movements and occasional dry sneeze you would never know anything was wrong. He and wifey are tucking into a bowl of Timmy and birch bark forage right now :)

Thank you, if it wasn't for his belly movements and occasional dry sneeze you would never know anything was wrong. He and wifey are tucking into a bowl of Timmy and birch bark forage right now :)

The 'dry sneezes' is another thing all my 'Cardiac Rabbits' did. I know that it may be of little consolation but all my Rabbits who were diagnosed with heart disease remained 'feeling well within themselves' right to the very end. Not one of them went off their food. They continued to be interested in everything going on around them and they interacted with their Rabbit friends as normal. They did rest more as the disease progressed. But it was a 'peaceful resting', if you know what I mean.

Sending lots of vibes for your lovely lad :love:

The 'dry sneezes' is another thing all my 'Cardiac Rabbits' did. I know that it may be of little consolation but all my Rabbits who were diagnosed with heart disease remained 'feeling well within themselves' right to the very end. Not one of them went off their food. They continued to be interested in everything going on around them and they interacted with their Rabbit friends as normal. They did rest more as the disease progressed. But it was a 'peaceful resting', if you know what I mean.

Sending lots of vibes for your lovely lad :love:

Thanks, yes that is good to know. All the outward signs lean towards cardiac, at least from the research I've done, not least that he's a NZW cross. I just wish I could get the dose confirmed! If I dont hear from my vet today I will call them tomorrow and ask them to speak to Molly and the **** Vet. I've emailed another rabbit vet I know who is out of my area, hoping she mails me back too.

Thought you might like to see him?

Here he is with wifey - my boy Fandango and Giselle :love:

Thanks, yes that is good to know. All the outward signs lean towards cardiac, at least from the research I've done, not least that he's a NZW cross. I just wish I could get the dose confirmed! If I dont hear from my vet today I will call them tomorrow and ask them to speak to Molly and the **** Vet. I've emailed another rabbit vet I know who is out of my area, hoping she mails me back too.

Thought you might like to see him?

Here he is with wifey - my boy Fandango and Giselle :love:

What a wonderful couple :love: I especially love REWs, I really dont understand why they are unpopular. Every REW I have cared for has had such a great character.

I really hope that you get some answers soon xx

Back