• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your indoor buns hide?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I just wondered do your indoor bunnies ever use their hidey homes or generally hide places?

I've had Millie and Maddie for nearly a year and I swear they only hid once when they heard the microwave ping for the first time. They spend all their time in the open, sometimes they just flop in the middle of the front room too rather than against a wall or the sofa.

I guess indoor bunnies just get use to all the house noises but I wondered if other indoor buns do like the security of a hideaway and my two are strange? :lol:

Boots never hides :lol: he's always in the thick of everything. my daughter made him a cardboard hidey house and the only time he ever went in it (as far as I know) is when we put a treat in there :lol:

My two have a little hut in their enclosure which they only ever go in to try and eat the floor! :roll: They love jumping up and down off it though.

Herbie & Hollie sleep under the sofa bed in their room. It is their wee den :)

They come out and about but always retire to the sofabed warren!

every time they get a green bean. they think I'm going to take it back. I never have, in all these years!

Doughnut loves her castle, she is always in it. She isn't hiding though as whenever I go out of the door and come back in she pops her head out hoping for a treat!

Boris used to hide under the sofa for hours but then he was a bit of a wimp :lol: Bella never hid from anything ever. She wasn't even afraid of the hoover!

If I leave the kitchen door open to the utility, and my two hear anything going onto a pan and start to sizzle, they absolutely poop themselves. I'm forever reminding the OH to shut the door before he cooks.

They really really hate that sound and will run and hide!

Only Lenny and Cheyenne uses their hidey hole - it's hilarious, as they both dash in and then stick their little noses out of the windows :love:

Priscilla stays hidden away most of the time, even though she's improved since I got her she's still a very nervous bunny. Barney is happy lounging in the open, as long as he's got his bum to the wall!

Occasionally happens here when spooked or startled. Or, when she's been on a prolonged course of daily meds and senses it is that time. She's otherwise a middle of the room girl. The hidey holes are all connected to lead through to tunnel spaces, used daily for digging and reconstruction projects. Main dig out box connects to a 5ft long tunnel box. Castle/tower connects to carrier. Upturned box over her petbed connects to tunnel space between bed and wall.

If I leave the kitchen door open to the utility, and my two hear anything going onto a pan and start to sizzle, they absolutely poop themselves. I'm forever reminding the OH to shut the door before he cooks.

- this is interesting to hear. 3 x we've had that happen. They've been the longest times she's hid. Wasn't sure whether it was noise from chopping board, smell of cooking, or sizzling of onions that freaked her so badly :?

Last edited:
Mine sleep under my bed at night but during the day they tend to snooze out in the open on the landing, currently Mini is one end, Nutmeg the other and I suspect Smudge is under the bed. They have a hide in their other room as well but only Smudge tends to use that.

M&M hate frying noises too but they just go to the other side of the room (it's living room and kitchen).

ETA: They come running over when I'm chopping because they generally get a bit of carrot or brocoli stalk but they run away when the gas hob is turned on.

Last edited:
Yes :lol:

00211.jpg

They particularly like sleeping under a green step stool that they have. Although they're also happy to flop out right in the middle of the room. :lol:

Last edited:
Lola goes into her tunnel when we are frying, especially garlic and onions. We have to shut the door too now. She also hides in it when we accidentally rustle supermarket shopping bags!

we have a table at the side of the sofa which she hides under now and again, she tends to hide in her indoor hutch but I think something has scared her (maybe the window cleaner) as she hides more than she did...

Hershel doesn't hide as he is a really confident bunny who takes everything is his stride from hairdryers, barking dogs to banging doors. Although he does like to lie under my bed, he soon comes out especially if he thinks food is on the go.

I use to have some of those logs in Maggie's pen and she use to hide under them, but removed them as I felt that it was detrimental to her development and long bonding with Hershel and myself. She is now friendlier and a lot more relaxed and will lie in the middle of the pen and bedroom floor. If she is upset or spooked, she will go and sit in her litter hay for a while though. She does like to sometimes hide under the bed, but will soon come out to see what she is missing.

I think I have gotten lucky with confident bunnies as George and Harry the outside buns are super friendly and very confident as well. We have Nell and Floss the Border Collies who like to run down the garden and announce to the neighbourhood dogs they are there by barking (annoying I know), well the bunnies if they are in the run will just sit and watch them. Through out Bonfire month they would sit out and watch the fireworks. They are very chilled and sociable for outside buns.

Back