• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house advice needed re bun

KatP

Alpha Buck
We are moving between the 27th of December and the 1st of January. My rabbit is a house rabbit and has full run of our living room. The house we are moving to will enable us to give her a much better set up which is why we are moving, yes we must be mad, but it will also enable us to hopefully bond her with a husbun.

My main question is how can I reduce her stress with the move? I'm thinking of moving the livingroom last, we are only moving across the road! Keeping the livingroom door shut, move everything else and then put her in her carrier while we move the livingroom. As she has full free range of the livingroom I don't have any panels so when we move her should I just let her out to explore or keep her in her hutch for a bit? She has a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft double storey hutch as a hide away ( I know this is too small but it is what fits in our current house and will fit in the new house and she is hardly ever shut in it)

Any advice on how to make this move go smoothly for my bun and keep stress to a minimum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We left our bunnies till last and had their new set up ready which helped a lot. When we relocated our vet gave us some pro biotic but we didn't need it this time being a 2 minute journey.

A friend put her bunnies into boarding for a couple if days which helped for them too.

Mine adapted pretty quick and were back to their usual naughty selves in a few days but they were quite cautious at first. I think this depends on their personalities though :)

Good luck with the move :)

Good luck with the move. I've not had this experience, but probably best to let her settle in the hutch for a bit, and hopefully the presence of some familiar things in the living room will make your bun want to explore soon.

Your plan sounds fine. She probably won't be as stressed as you think! When I got my two home for the first time I just opened the carrier door and left them to it. Millie was flopped on the floor in 5 mins! Just put her hutch near so she can hide if she wants. She'll probably poo everywhere to begin with but should settle down again after a bit. I'm sure she'll forgive everything after a few treats :lol:

It depends on the temperament of the bun I think. I've moved house with mine five times now, when I get there I just open the carrier and let them do their own thing. Apache always comes straight out to explore but Skye hides for a while. There have never been any ill effects though.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well!

We moved 8 buns a month ago - 1/2 hour drive away. Hubby set up the bunny room the night before we moved - but we bought new hutchs/runs. Then we moved the buns first thing in the morning before the official removal men came and they were left to settle in with the bunny room door shut. But they were absolutely fine - settled in very quickly.

Good luck with the move - and yes totally understand why you're moving for the sake of the rabbits. Our satelitte dish is where it is because I wanted the drilling through the wall to be as far from the bun room as possible.:lol:

Thanks for all the replies, it seems that my plan seems to be the best idea. I will let you know how the move goes. As for now we are packing boxes and Boxing Day may take on a whole new meaning!!!

Very best of luck with your move. I recently moved with my eight rabbits and they all moved into new accommodation with no problems at all.

Back