• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking after a bunny after friends death.

abbiee

New Kit
Afternoon all!

I didn't want to be here for this reason, but I'm in need of some major help. I've been looking online but it isn't helping me as much as I would like.

We had two pairs of rabbits and yesterday we sadly lost one of each pair.
This means we are left with two single rabbits. Both have been brought inside to get maximum attention from us humans.
So I have a couple of questions.

One of the bunnies seems fine. She's doing well. However, the other, not so well. She really relied on her friend and now she has gone she doesn't really know what to do. She won't really eat unless im sat there with her, so im having to go in and encourage her to eat and drink. As upsetting as it is, I assume this is normal for the grieving process? Will she come out of this stage herself? And what can I do to help her?

Now for the biggest question. What to do with two single bunnies? They are both females and as far as I understand bonding two females is difficult? Correct me if I'm wrong! We are planning on getting them spayed anyway. But would this help with the bonding? Would it even be worth just TRYING to bond them? They are both just under a year old. If we could bond them together it would defintely be for the best.

Or just any general advice on the subject would be so greatful! We have just never expericned this before and are completely lost!

Thankyou x

Firstly, so sorry to hear of your losses... Thats devastating.

I would be most concerned at what caused the bunnies to pass, if one of the survivors has got an infection of some sort it could prove fatal to the other sole bunny...

Some bunnies dont cope well with loss, perhaps a warm towel to snuggle into of you havent got a heat pad, ...or a cuddly toy for it to sit beside. If bunnies dont eat, drink and poop, they can die quickly..

In all honesty, i would get the two bunnies checked out? Just in case...its imperative they eat.

The best of luck to you and your furries..

ps. Its better to neuter them, to prevent the onset of uterine cancer.,. Girls can be bonded together, it is more difficult though than male/female

Firstly, so sorry to hear of your losses... Thats devastating.

I would be most concerned at what caused the bunnies to pass, if one of the survivors has got an infection of some sort it could prove fatal to the other sole bunny...

Some bunnies dont cope well with loss, perhaps a warm towel to snuggle into of you havent got a heat pad, ...or a cuddly toy for it to sit beside. If bunnies dont eat, drink and poop, they can die quickly..

In all honesty, i would get the two bunnies checked out? Just in case...its imperative they eat.

The best of luck to you and your furries..

ps. Its better to neuter them, to prevent the onset of uterine cancer.,. Girls can be bonded together, it is more difficult though than male/female

Thankyou for your reply!

We are thinking it was from the cold weather. We have been taking extra precautions to keep them warm and were even just about to move them into the shed.. But we had one very cold night and well.. I think it was one night too long :(

I am wanting to get them to the vets, especially my bunny, who is taking it the worst. So hopfully tomorrow after work.

We are planning on the neutering anyway, because we know about the cancer risks (just trying to find a trusting vet). But I was hoping that the neutering would possibly, hopfully, help them to bond.

Its unlikely that the cold would kill them (its not that cold just now...), perhaps though, possible if they were already ill, weakened and not eating.

It would be nice to give them company of you get them neutered,,, good luck at the vets tomorrow, i hope little bun gets well soon..

Keep us posted on how things go with them both

Cheers
Fee x

So sorry you lost your bunnies :(. Cold weather wouldn't normally pose a problem for a healthy bunny if it has a warm and dry home to snuggle into. Were your bunnies vaccinated? I second the opinion that you should get the remaining two checked asap by a vet. If all is ok then it is perfectly possible to bond two females - just not always as easy as a male/female pair. I've had unrelated female pairs and even trios so I know from experience that it's possible.

However, they MUST be neutered otherwise it'll be almost impossible. If you tell us what part of the country you're in, we could point you in the direction of a good bunny-savvy vet. Best of luck with your girls and do come back for advice and to let us know how you're getting on.

Thankyou for your reply!

We are thinking it was from the cold weather. We have been taking extra precautions to keep them warm and were even just about to move them into the shed.. But we had one very cold night and well.. I think it was one night too long :(

I am wanting to get them to the vets, especially my bunny, who is taking it the worst. So hopfully tomorrow after work.

We are planning on the neutering anyway, because we know about the cancer risks (just trying to find a trusting vet). But I was hoping that the neutering would possibly, hopfully, help them to bond.

It would certainly be a good idea to have them both neutered. Also, get the vet to examine both of them to see if he thinks they are fit and well enough to go through with the ops.

You could try bonding them after neutering, or asking someone else to do it, or a Rescue, to help you.

I'm so sorry for your sudden losses :cry:

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss of your two bunnies :(

I wouldn't of thought that the cold weather would of caused them to pass. Bunnies are pretty hardy and cope well with the cold. They actually cope better in the cold than heat. My bunnies are often outside munching on hay in their run on a frosty night/morning! They have the option of going inside the shed but chose to sit outside in the run.

Are you able to get the bunnies that have passed away in for a post mortem? It would be a good idea to find out what caused their death, especially as you have other bunnies which may be at risk.

I think I'd get both bunnies a check up - I think it's unlikely you lost two bunnies from separate pairs to the weather (although that does depend where you are based). I'd also expect that if they got cold enough to die, you'd see hypothermia in their companions.

Rabbits can go off their food after a lose, but I'd be concerned that what you are actually seeing could be signs of a contagious illness. Hence I really think a checkup would be a good first step.

If you get the all clear, then spaying them an attempting to bond them wouldn't be impossible. A lot depends on individual personalities so two girls doesn't rule out a match up.

Back