View Full Version : Help Wanted: Someone to bond my rabbits, will pay

12-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi All,

I am failing miserably at bonding my 4 year old neutered male Rodge with my French Lop 3 year old female Peggy who is not neutered. She is an ex breeding rabbit.

Rodge is not the problem, he is a gentle soul who I have bonded successfully in the past with 10 week old rabbits.

If anyone would like some money before xmas, please get in contact with me. Desperate for help and will happily drop them off to someone in Scotland willing to bond them for me.


12-12-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm the wrong end of the UK so can't help with a bonder in Scotland, but unneutered females can be grumpy, domineering and hard to bond, have you considered getting her neutered? It would make bonding easier and they would be less likely to have problems once bonded too. It would also protect her against uterine cancer, the risk of which increases greatly the older she gets.

12-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I think there will always be problems trying to bond her unless you have her spayed. Even if someone actually gets them together initially they are very likely to fall out at a later date as she will probably have pseudopregnancies. Rabbits are induced ovulators, so any humping from the buck will cause her to ovulate. She will then think she's pregnant. This will make her grumpy toward him and she would also pluck fur (from both herself and him) and nest build. All very stressful for both Rabbits.

So aside from the protection from uterine infections/cancer issue getting her spayed would make for a much better quality of life and for bonding her with your Buck to be more likely to succeed.

12-12-2014, 03:31 PM
What have you tried so far for bonding? :)

12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I've had nightmares, last night, about trying to bond my two pairs to a four, and everybun needing stitches... I hope yours are more co-operative!

19-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! Would it be safe to spay a 3 year old very large French Lop? If so, I will arrange to have this done after xmas and then go from there with the bonding.


19-12-2014, 02:12 PM
the risk should be minimal, but as she's a giant I would advise you get her a check up and talk to the vet before you book her in, and discuss any health issues she has first. A spay is routine low-risk op for healthy rabbits.

19-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Am sure it will be fine - as usual with GA's there are low level risks but if you go to a rabbit savvy vet, then those risks are minimal - certainly far less than the risk of your girl getting uterine cancer later on. And then after a period to heal and to allow her hormones to die down you will soon have a loved up couple of buns - it's win win all the way. I have had 4 girls spayed ranging from tiny Cheyenne to more lumpy Bug - and they've all sailed through the proceedure.

But do try to ensure your vet is experienced in rabbit care - and prehaps it's a good idea to have health check up before hand.

19-12-2014, 04:33 PM
The big problem with an ex breeding bunny is she just thinks babies. She has been doing what does do best and unfortunately she doesn't know her breeding days are over. So this aspect will always be uppermost in her mind. You will need to give her hormones plenty of time to subside post spay and I wish you luck with the eventual bonding. :D

21-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! Would it be safe to spay a 3 year old very large French Lop? If so, I will arrange to have this done after xmas and then go from there with the bonding.


I took in a female Frenchie in 2005 who had been very badly neglected - I made the decision not to spay as she had many issues and I felt it kinder to let her live out her remaining time in peace. I had her for a year and she did develop uterine cancer and having nothing to lose my vet did an emergency spay. Unfortunately it was too late and we lost her.

So yes I would definitely spay your bun, as long as your vet is rabbit savvy.

21-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Very very best of luck to you!!!