• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy says....

Tracy

Warren Veteran
"I'm ready to have my Tramadol, Metacam, bum washed and dried, eyes bathed and some yummy syringe food. And when you've done all that, can you change all my blankets and rugs as I've weed on them again.....sorry, I just can't hold it in anymore!"

Daisy's spondylosis has got much worse over the last few weeks. Her Tramadol dose has been increased to make sure we are covering any discomfort and we can up it to 3 times a day, instead of twice, if needed. She needs lots of help to keep her bum clean and dry. She's incontinent, so wees everywhere, including on me when I pick her up! Blankets and rugs have to be changed twice a day, the washing machine is on more for Daisy than it is for us. I'm also topping her food intake up with syringe feeds to try and get her weight back up a bit. Her mobility is really deteriorating, but she still manages a very wobbly run for the food.

For now she is happy and comfortable and we're doing everything we can for her, but we are at the stage where we just have to take it one day at a time.

Daisy_meds.jpg

Aww bless her, she is adorable. I hope she's feeling a bit better on the higher doses of pain killers. I like her little clean-up and meds station :)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Barney was recently diagnosed with spondylosis too, and I was wondering if there is anything in particular that you have found helps her? He's already on metacam, tramodol for pain, and metaclopramide and zantac for gut motility.

Aww bless her, she is adorable. I hope she's feeling a bit better on the higher doses of pain killers. I like her little clean-up and meds station :)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Barney was recently diagnosed with spondylosis too, and I was wondering if there is anything in particular that you have found helps her? He's already on metacam, tramodol for pain, and metaclopramide and zantac for gut motility.

Daisy also has monthly cartrophen injections. It must be three years since she first started with the symptoms and, although it has gradually got worse, I do wonder if the cartrophen has helped in slowing down the progression. My Bentley (conti giant) has started with early stage arthritis in his hips and he has monthly cartrophen, it definitely makes a difference to him. He started losing stability and couldn't sit up and periscope, but since being on cartrophen he is much more stable and can sit up on his back legs. It's a course of one injection per week for 4 weeks and then monthly thereafter.

I was wondering about whether we need to add in gut motility drugs too as her poos are quite a lot smaller than they used to be. I know the tramadol can slow the gut down and she's recently had the increase in her dose. She does loads of poos and they are fibrous, just much smaller. Have just phoned the surgery and my vet will phone me back later this evening to discuss it.

Just thought I would update this thread, sadly Daisy passed away on Saturday.

I did her normal morning routine of medication, bum clean etc and she was fine. I put her back in her kennel with her sisters and she hurried over to the food, but then slumped as if she just wanted to sleep. She was warm and comfortable, so I left her for a short while just in case it was sleepiness from the Tramadol. She was still sleepy when I went back to check and I knew something wasn't right, so I got her into a carrier and Paul phoned the vet to say we were on our way with her as an emergency. As soon as Paul put the phone down I knew she wasn't going to last long enough to make the journey. She slipped peacefully into forever sleep with us by her side. :cry: We knew this day was always just around the corner and that she didn't have long left with us, but it is still so hard. I will post a tribute in Rainbow Bridge when I can face it.

One bless her little heart! I've been in this position and know you have worked so hard to make the end of her life as comfy as possible. I'm so sorry but she is now at peace at the Bridge. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry Tracy :(

I experienced similar with my Flopsy - it's so hard.
Despite knowing that they're on borrowed time and that the inevitable will happen; it still doesn't make the loss any easier when it happens.

Sleep tight beautiful Daisy, I hope her friends are coping ok. X

I'm so sorry :cry: you gave her the best care right to the end. Binky free Daisy.

Sending hugs xx

Thank you for all your kind words. xx

Poppy and Pansy, her two sisters, are doing fine. I think because they still have each other they don't appear to be really missing Daisy. I'm really missing her because she had become such a big part of my bunny routine, it feels strange not having to do all her meds and care.

I am so very very sorry - we were only chatting about Daisy the other day when you were here. She was so very special to you. Peaches (my bun with the back issues) has moved herself to the kitchen where it is warmer now we have the Rayburn on longer and is enjoying that. We will bear cartrophen in mind for her.

Back