• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

no more rabbits...

Rexripley

Mama Doe
My husband trying to be sweet went into the local rescue yesterday and sent me a picture of this albino rabbit looking for a home.
I told him no as ive been saying for ages no more bunnies as its too upsetting when we lose them. I keep crying over losing Alfie the other night :(
But at the back of my head im thinking we have all that space now where another bunny could have a loving home.
Its such a hard decision :S

I'll bet it is, you are already going through a loss you need time to see if you feel right getting another bun. Nothing will replace Alfie. Try and give yourself time to heal and see how you feel after that. You are right that its wonderful to give another bun a home but you need to think about you as well. When our first dog died it took us two years to feel right getting another, I still think about her now!

Don't feel bad, you need time to sort yourself out first. Sending some vibes for you xx

I've promised myself there will be no more when my four go, and I'm going to stick to it. They've cost me too much, in damage to property. They've limited my potential for fun by needing an alert carer. I am committed to them when it would be better for me to have fewer commitments, not more. So no more rabbits.

When I lost my Kermit I always knew that I would have other bunnies.....yes, I get upset when they pass, but it is worth it for all the love and fun that they bring to my life. I was devastated when both Kermit and Inca went to he bridge, but I have loads of space in my heart for loads more bunnies in the future :)

It's hard. I know. I only have Benji left now and he's going to be my last for a while. But it's so hard to stick to it. I feel pretty happy that he has plenty of company and is comfortable being indoors with us but it's still hard to say "no more".

I know what you mean. I didn't want any more bunnies after Dexter died but my OH at the time thought it'd cheer me up to have another rabbit so he bought me Slipper. It wasn't until two years had passed that I felt able to think about getting another rabbit. I think given the age of my rabbits, they'll all go at once in very quick succession over two/three years so that might take me a while to get over. I'm hoping for another 10 years though before I have to worry about that!

Sorry you lost Alfie :cry: xx

I don't know whether I'd get any more. I only have Alfie, and he's only 3 so hopefully has a while left, but I've discovered just how insanely expensive rabbits are! He's cost us so much money, and is quite restrictive. I don't know if I'd have any more after him. They're so restrictive. I think if I could get him a friend, I would (can't afford it at the moment) but I wouldn't go out of my way to replace him if he were to die tomorrow.

I understand exactly how you feel. I thought for many years that when I finally did lose Willow I could never have another rabbit, as much as I love them.
Maple and Jazzie came along just one month before I lost Willow. I knew she probably wasn't going to have a lot longer, but losing her so quickly was unexpected. Had I lost her before I got the other two I may never have had another. But I am glad now that I have them. I'm not sure I would have even wanted to live without her otherwise. We were so close.
At first Maple and Jazzie gave me a commitment; I was responsible for them and I had to look after them. I was worried at first as I was almost comparing them to Willow which wasn't fair on them. Or I stroked them, picked them up or just watched them play and occassionally just had guilty thoughts, like 'as much as I love them, I wish that was Willow instead'. Sometimes I closed my eyes while stroking them and almost pretended it was Willow, though they all feel completely different. I was worried that I might not love them for them, but as time went on rather than looking for things that reminded me of Willow in their behavior I've started to realize they have their own personalities and appreciate them for who they are.
Willow has and always will have a very special place in my heart. And there's nothing I wouldn't do if I could bring her back. It's been nearly nine weeks since I lost her and I still haven't put away her cage. I've started by taking the bowls out but that is as far as I got. I go to tears over her all the time.
My other two will never take her place. But they have made it a little easier in that they have given me something to focus on.
Someone on here used the term 'soul-bunny' when I was talking about Willow. I love that term so much that I now use it for her. She was my soul-bunny. We had a closer bond than anyone could possibly understand unless they had had it themselves.
The pain in losing such a close friend is so immense, I can easily see why some would never want to go through it again.
I think I've come to realize that I need rabbits. I feel like I never want to be without them. Maybe one day that will change, but for now at least I feel that as immense as the pain of loss is, the love and purpose that they bring in return makes it worth it. I suppose the greater something is the greater the price you pay.
Maybe one day it will be too much and I won't have anymore. I don't know. All I know is that for now I need them, and while I have messed up, sometimes badly, in the past I know I can give them a better home that being stuck out in a small hutch all day after the novelty has worn off with a child.
But I can easily see how some would never want to go through that pain again.
Whatever you decide, make sure it's right for you. If you need to grieve first, you may find that you want one again later. Or you may find that having another one to focus on will help you grieve.
Or it may be that having another just isn't right for you.
If you are entertaining the idea, you could try a rescue or something who might 'loan' one as it were? Where you could adopt if it worked out, but aren't committed if you can't handle it.
Just make sure you do what you feel is right for you.
There's no need to rush into a decision either way.

It took me two years too feel ready for more bunnies after I lost Domino and Jessica within 2 months of each other. I was so heartbroken and I need time to get used to them not being around. I think you will know if / when you are ready again and I would tell you husband you need time.

Mine are all very similar in age (as Sarah was saying) so they wont be gone for ages (assuming they live til at least 10). I imagine I wont get any more but time will tell. I quite fancy the idea of being free to go and see friends more. Dont like leaving my darlings for long atm.

I thought I'd have mine all a lot longer but they've all died between 4months and Alfie the oldest who was nearly three :(

If I were younger and better able to manage their financial needs I would've thought about a nice bonded pair from rescue or even maybe a single that didn't want companionship. But circumstance dictates that these are my last bunnies (and cats and dogs as well.)

The heartbreak losing them is a whole other issue. That alone at this stage of my life is more than I can bear. :cry:

That being said I probably have a few years left that I can donate to volunteering at rescues. That helps them out and gives me a 'fluffies fix.' :)

I'm sorry you've suffered so much loss and your babies have been so young. :( Sending you comforting hugs xxxxx

I know how you feel, I'm so torn as I don't want any more rabbits but its not fair to leave Imogen alone for the 5+ years that she could live. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to rehome her though

you could take on an older rabbit, georgey? but if I'm left with one, one day, it will be a singleton. no more for me means no more, it has to be that way.

Back