• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

metal shed hay storage- your experiences?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi all. We are about to order a new shed for storing hay and other stuff. Trying to decide between wood and metal. Has anyone got any experience of storing hay in a metal shed? Does it get damp at all? The one we have currently is wood.

Thanks!

No experience but I would be concerned about condensation in damp, cold weather so I personally would go with wood. We are currently considering moving all the rabbit bits from the garage to a shed as the garage needs replacing and we'll be getting a wooden one.

The house I have just moved from had a metal shed in the garden. It had an asbesdos roof (ancient) and a concrete base.

Totally waterproof. There was a titchy bit of damp round the bottom but I kept the hay off the floor on pallets and shelves and it was absolutely fine.

It was well ventilated with three good sized mesh only windows which I am sure helped.

Back