• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suddenly not wanting to eat nuggets

wench

Young Bun
Hello

I have a pair of bonded rabbits (Winston and Crystal ) who are quite old now (6 and 7 years old). They appear quite healthy but suddenly seem to have both taken a dislike to their nuggets. They are both eating their hay and veg and also a very minimal amount for nuggets. However it's hardly any nuggets......its like they have both lost their appetites. I find it weird that this has happened to both bunnies at the same time. Obviously I am taking them to the vets but wondered if anyone has any ideas? I even wondered if Burgess have changed their recipe..... I have checked both of their teeth and all seems okay. Very worried and very confused....

Hello

I have a pair of bonded rabbits (Winston and Crystal ) who are quite old now (6 and 7 years old). They appear quite healthy but suddenly seem to have both taken a dislike to their nuggets. They are both eating their hay and veg and also a very minimal amount for nuggets. However it's hardly any nuggets......its like they have both lost their appetites. I find it weird that this has happened to both bunnies at the same time. Obviously I am taking them to the vets but wondered if anyone has any ideas? I even wondered if Burgess have changed their recipe..... I have checked both of their teeth and all seems okay. Very worried and very confused....

Can you try another dry food? Sometimes there is an issue with the quality of dried food and the bunnies refuse it.

Also, make sure their drinking water is fresh. Obvious I know, but if they don't have good drinking water, they won't eat dry food.

Their back teeth will need checking which needs to be done with a scope. My first suspicion would be dental problems, although this would be unusual for them to both develop dental issues at the same time but it isn't impossible. I have had two buns need dentals within a week of each other. Perhaps one has gone off them and so the other has? Shadowfax would not eat pellets at all until she was bonded with my other two, now she eats them as if she's never been fed. :lol:

Fingers crossed they are just being awkward. :)

Will try another food. They have been on Burgess Excel for ages with no problems until now but it's worth a try.

How odd! Give Science Selective a try, but introduce them very slowly - a change of diet can upset buns. And do get the vet to check back teeth too.

Back