• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cross breed appreciation thread

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
I quite often see posts from people asking about their bunnies breed and it got me thinking about all the bunnies who are breed less like mine :D

I know I speculate what breed mine may have in them too but I wanted to start a thread to show that although I think Rex bunnies are beautiful and I'm sure someone was trying to make my current bunnies lionheads, many bunnies have no breed and are beautiful and unique.

I have never owned a thorough bred anything except a siamese called Kizzy when I was little who was a rescue. (Best cat ever!)

What do other people think?

I will post a picture of my pair later but I can't work out how on my phone!

Great idea! Every bunny is unique and special and lovely. I've had a dwarf lop and a hand reared wild bun. My current rabbit, Amy, is supposably also a dwarf lop... about two pounds too heavy to be one, but a few pounds too light to be a French. So although she's not a cross, she's still her own breed!

My cross breeds have always been a lot healthier than any of my pure breed bunnies.

Everybun is beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

I think these are cross breeds

Glinda
199fd1842dcc21a35a5e8754d7cdb47a.jpg
3a07ede05ebd982c4d8ed0b2af639b44.jpg

Ursula
1fc706168c0f70515403dfefce8def00.jpg
2d3c3c6d7a4d40ebc274f43e2b58a646.jpg

I also have a mini rex Elphaba but each one of my bunnies is cute in their own way, I love Glinda for having one floppy ear [emoji13] and I love Urusla's colours =P

Here is Nancy (again ). Thought to be a bit Dutch, bit Nethie and a bit mini lop with uppy ears.

YAY can submit pics from new phone☺

I've no idea what sort of bunnies mine are :oops: so I guess they're a cross breed but I've no clue what's in there.

ETA: I'm never sure if harlequin is a breed or a colouring or both!

Last edited:
I have Slipper who is part lionhead, part lop and part something else. He's allegedly a dwarf lop but he's quite a large boy for a dwarf but I think too small for a frenchie.
6c270e332409274edfe38380ae77d395.jpg

Cherry is a wildie x domestic bunny. I don't know what breed(s) her mum was, but she looks pure wildie to me.
99aefb2c4f121f2d488bcdba2cf90108.jpg

Autumn (mum) and Sunshine (son) are mainly belgian hare but have a bit of rex in them (Sunshines grandfather).

Tessie and Daisy are sisters and are lionhead crossed with ???

Their friend Frosty is also a cross breed, lionhead x dutch

Frosty's brother, Snowflake is a lionhead x dutch too (!!!)

Unless you get a specific breed from a BRC breeder, it is very unlikely you'll have a pure-bred rabbit anyway. Most are mixes of many breeds, and even rabbits that seem to be a particular breed aren't pure bred, they just exhibit some more obvious traits of a breed. I don't really think it matters much with rabbits like it does with dogs, as rabbit breeds don't really differ in personality or care, it's just looks. Obviously size has an impact on care and personality, but that's true of pure or mixed breeds.

My Annabella is clearly a lionhead, but I wouldn't for a moment imagine that she is a pure-bred lionhead. She was a rescue and originally from an accidental litter. And she's absolutely gorgeous, although I may be biased.

I was told Barney was a pure breed (probably to make him seem more desirable?) but I am yet to find any that match him. So either he was sold as a pure-bred by a breeder who lied to his first owner, or I was lied to. Either way, he's a cross or mixed breed.

Last edited:
Back