• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burrowing

Melaniesn

New Kit
Hi there, we have 2 mini lop rabbits male and female and today we discovered they had dug a burrow. We have filled it in but I am now worried they may keep doing this till they get out. Any tips appreciated!
:D

you need to have weldmesh under the grass to prevent them digging out, or predators digging in, or you could use paving slabs to cover the bottom of the run.

Yep. Weldmesh. Floor, sides and roof. Chicken wire isnt fox or rabbit proof but 19g or 16g weldmesh is great.

Mine had 10 x 6 aviary runs with a 6 x 2 x 3 hutch inside at our last house (sheds now and two indoors).

You can also provide digging boxes for them. Have a look at the housing stickies for inspiration!

Hi there, we have 2 mini lop rabbits male and female and today we discovered they had dug a burrow. We have filled it in but I am now worried they may keep doing this till they get out. Any tips appreciated!
:D

It's normal rabbit behaviour I'm afraid :)

My rabbits free range the garden when I can watch them. They do dig (especially the female). I hate filling in all their hard work, so I put a plant pot into their burrow so they can go down a foot or two but no further.

Back