• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW- How Does Having Pet Rabbits Improve Your Life ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For me my Rabbits have literally saved my life. Without them I would have no reason to be around. Maybe my situation is not 'healthy' as such, but believe me compared to how I was before I had Rabbits it is very 'healthy' indeed.

I find that caring for my Rabbits provides me with a much needed structure to my day. They all have individual characters and getting to know each one of them is so rewarding. Even more-so now I have significantly fewer Rabbits. Obviously I am able to devote a lot more time to each of them.

I honestly cannot imagine what I would do without them. Yes, there is always the inevitable heartache when losses occur. But whilst I still have Rabbits in my care I know I have to keep going for them. They need me and I think most, if not all humans, need to feel needed.

They are my cuddle-buns. They were 'someone to come home to' for years when life was very, very tough. They mean a lot to me. But there will be no more.

I find that caring for my Rabbits provides me with a much needed structure to my day.
I agree with this :D I'm a pretty chaotic person, organised but organised by entropy ;P Lopsy provides me with the 'must-dos' which I fit the rest of my life around, and as I increasingly get more 'must-dos' I've already got a basis to work on. It's more a case of out of organisation practice than never having been able to do it though, but bun is a good help!

And without him, I'd've never stumbled across this and all your wonderfulness and the lovely forum vibe I missed so much.

Haven't had him long enough for anything else life-changing to turn up, but will let you all know if it does.

Living alone, caring for the buns gives me a reason to get up in the morning. I've stopped smoking and am now vegetarian. :D And I have lots of bunny friends :)

Having Rabbits is fab for me, they really suit my lifestyle as they sleep all day and party all night....like me.... - lol :) .......nah, I mean cos I am at work all day, then they are up and about when I am home so it is fab.

Although having rabbits has also made me so freaking busy with finding things to put in online auctions, posting said auctions, wrapping up items, going to the post office. At times I feel like I never stop!

they make me smile when im having ill days and cant get out much. they calm me and i just love them to bits!!

There will be no more for me either. So I totally understand you saying that.

No more for me either. four losses in the last two years has been two hard. We have two left but when they're gone no more.

My rabbits make my life better going home to see their little faces, but my life miserable when they are Ill or die :(

they sleep all day and party all night
Slightly derailing the thread, but that reminds me: OH said, when I was grumping ill on the sofa on Monday when he got home, something along the lines of: "huh, I see now I get home you're all ill! I bet you've been out partying ALL DAY until now!" When I said I'd seen to the rabbit for an hour or so he said "Lopsy likes to party too, I bet". It was very silly and cheered me right up :D </tangent>

Alfie gives me company. I sit with him for a lot of the time.

I'm ill and snuggled up on the sofa today, so I can't sit with him - I miss him already!

I have always been able to connect with animals but not really with humans. Prior to my Rabbits I had two Dogs and also loan Ponies/Horses. Whilst I formed very close bonds with all of them the bonds with my Rabbits is much much stronger. It is impossible to describe really, a sort of 'oneness' that I have never experienced before. Truth be told I think I need my Rabbits far more than they need me.

I wanted Milo and Finn originally because I wanted pets, I assumed that rabbits were quiet, easy to care for, boy did I get a shock!

I wouldn't be without them now though, I love caring for them and making the enclosure fun for them! They aren't the cuddliest rabbit by far but just sitting and giving them a little nose rub while they eat their hay is good enough for me, especially when I can see they are happy!

Even the OH admit's he wouldn't like to be without them now!

I move house almost constantly so the rabbits are the one constant aspect of my life :) I have changed jobs, cities, don't have any long term friends but rabbits have been with me for 8ish years and they make me feel grounded - where they are, is home. :)

ETA Also I need them for cuddles!!!

I wanted Milo and Finn originally because I wanted pets, I assumed that rabbits were quiet, easy to care for, boy did I get a shock!

I wouldn't be without them now though, I love caring for them and making the enclosure fun for them! They aren't the cuddliest rabbit by far but just sitting and giving them a little nose rub while they eat their hay is good enough for me, especially when I can see they are happy!

Even the OH admit's he wouldn't like to be without them now!

Ha, that's what I thought too !! :lol:

I bought my first Rabbit because I knew that my elderly Dog did not have long left and I wanted another Pet. But I didn't want one that I would get too close to so I would not have to go through the awful pain of loss again. How awful is that, that I honestly thought I would buy a Rabbit and not come to love him/her.
I was so wrong as within less than 24 hours I came to realise just how special Rabbits are.

I don't think they improve my life as such, in fact I'd be richer and less stressed without them !!:lol: - but I just love them. I can't explain it. They have something about them - maybe it is their vulnerability - that other species don't. For a rabbit to trust you is a special bond indeed. Plus they are entertaining!

I am sure that without my furry family needing me, I would not be still on this planet. They gave and still give me a purpose and a reason to live, unconditional love, hilarious moments, mood enhancing moments......and the greatest of fuzzy feelings when I see wonderful poops in their litter trays.....and when I am honoured to have a cuddle with them.

All in all.................perfect for me. As Jane has said and which I agree with, I have had other animals too, but the relationship that I have with rabbits is very, very special.

I don't think they improve my life as such, in fact I'd be richer and less stressed without them !!:lol: - but I just love them. I can't explain it. They have something about them - maybe it is their vulnerability - that other species don't. For a rabbit to trust you is a special bond indeed. Plus they are entertaining!

Absolutely this

As a mere human 'trusting' is a huge issue for me. So the fact that my Rabbits, who are of course all prey animals, actually trust me is such a huge honour.

It nice to be wanted, even if it is only cos I slipped Meg a piece of fruit loop earlier :lol: (Well they say you are what you eat :p)

I've always felt 'apart' from people - I've very few close friends and one of the punishements my parents loved to hand out for a bad school report was that I couldn't be with/contact the few friends I did have has a child (and our school hols in Zimbabwe were 4 weeks) - so my companions were our dogs and cats - and the horses at the local stable - and I learnt that animals cannot hurt me and they don't judge and they have an incredible knack of making me feel happy even on the darkest days (especially during my teenage years;)).

Coming to the UK I desperatly missed having an animal but wouldn't have a dog or cat because I worked - but then OH (who thankfully is just as potty about animals) brought home Bobo and that after 3 weeks of Bobo and I staring at each other wondering 'what on earth are you' - I fell in love and learnt just how funny, charming, naughty, difficult buns are.

They keep me busy at home - and I love being busy - I get depressed if I have nothing to do. They make me laugh - and allow me to use them for comfort when I'm deeply upset about something. I can sit with my fat fluffs and I don't have to say a word - I can 'just be' - until Sheldon nips me because I haven't given a treat or I'm in his way:love:. I think I've learnt to be myself again through them - and not trying to pretend to be somethiing in order to fit in with society - they have given me the freedom to say 'sod you' to society and to do what feels right for me.

They have given some wonderful gifts - and I will always do what I can for my buns - they are indeed my life.

Back