• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! How to keep buns toastie and cosy

JacquiM

New Kit
Looking for some urgent advice please

Our boiler died at the weekend and I'm panicking that our 2 buns are struggling with the cold as it'll be possibly another couple of weeks till we get a new one installed :(

Can anyone recommend if I should be looking at hot water bottles for them, or do you feel that's going overboard? I've seen very mixed reviews online relating to buns so don't want to get the wrong thing for them

We've got a 2 year old Lionhead and an 11 week old Harlequin Dwarf Lop, I had them snuggled up together on my knee last night to try and keep warm and their ears were really cold. There is a small upside on this problem, it's certainly helping with the bonding 😊 (they are still in separate hutches though as they are not best mates yet)

Thanks

Thanks, I'll have a look into those �� they are both petted lumps and I'm sure they're a bit shellshocked that it's not that warm in the house

Awwww, they sound gorgeous! How old are they? Where abouts do they live? I gather they're house rabbits but I'd worry a lot more if they were on tile or slone than in a carpeted room. Maybe If you have any cardboard boxes cut a door in the side and half fill them with hay to make a cozy hideaway. Snugglesafes are good. Would one of those portable heaters be an option? Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harewood-Co...ie=UTF8&qid=1418463176&sr=1-2&keywords=heater

What are you doing to keep warm? 2 weeks will be Christmas Eve! Not good timing! I hope you can get it sorted quickly. We had a Christmas without heat once. *Shivers at memory*

I would expect they'll be fine indoors even with no heating. It's still warmer than out. Just make sure they have snuggly enclosed beds if they do want them. Becareful if you've got space heaters etc. of the cables ;)

When you do get the new boiler, try to ramp up the temperature gradually - that can be by switching the radiator off in the room they are in. They'll have more trouble going from cool to tropically suddenly.

It's normal for their ears to feel coolish when it's cold, they regulate their temperature that way - they divert extra blood there to cool off when hot and decrease it when its cold. Scamp's ears felt chilly last night and it was 21 degrees inside. Stick your finger under their fluff and their body should feel warm though.

Back