• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! My buns aren't sleeping in their bedroom!?

Currant_Bun

Young Bun
Hi all, since moving my bun Riki outside to live with his new wife Cupcake they have both taken to sleeping on the floor in the main section of the hutch. I assumed they went into the bedroom department later on in the evening when it was too dark for me to see (even though I have checked a couple of times only to see them sleeping outside). This wasn't really a problem as far as I was concerned as the weather has been pretty mild up until recently and I just assumed once the weather did start to turn they would see sense and take shelter, but they haven't! They are still sleeping where there is very little shelter from the wind and the rain :( I have a sheet of 3mm perspex that will be attached with hinges that will cover the two mesh doors to keep wind and rain out but I've covered the bedroom door with waterproof membrane to stop drafts and any rain through the gaps as well as insulated it and I fill it with plenty of straw. They just don't seem to want to go in there, and if they do, it's to use it as a massive lavatory:/ Can anyone explain this too me? The only thing I can think is that they don't like the straw but I put it in the litter tray too (in an attempt to give them somewhere warm to sleep if they wont go in the bedroom). I really don't know what else I can do, surely they can see it's warmer and safer for them to sleep in the shelter!?

Sounds like normal bunny behaviour! When my two had the hutch they weren't in their bedroom bit much either. It's a lot to do with the "bedroom" parts of hutches being smaller than the other meshed part - they like to be able to stretch out properly. They also quite like having the opportunity to see what's going on - hence preferring mesh for a view.

Do they have access to a run as well as the hutch? How large is the hutch?

My single Nethie bun always slept in his bigger, open bit (fully open: it was the bi that led into the run direct!): he toileted in the smaller bit, or hid in there from scary things unless it was proper cold, then he went in there. He slept on full view in the run on warmer days/nights... AFAIK it IS normal!

All mine are in sheds (or indoors) but at our last place their 6 x 2 x 3 huches were inside 10 x 6 aviary runs and they often spent a large part of the night in the run. Night is an active time for rabbits. Day time is when they tend to sleep/rest - on top of the hutch quite often in my lots case :)

Standard bunny behaviour!:lol:

My Eddie used to sit in the cold and wet, looking increasingly bedraggled, he had a bedroom full of hay, but would prefer to be outside.

Bunnies aren't clever... :roll:

Back