• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW: Keeping Your Rabbit Safe Over Christmas

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Another Christmas one, sorry :lol:

Anyone having their first Christmas with bunnies?

All the festive food and decorations are great, but it means a whole new challenge when it comes to bunny proofing! I'm pretty sure Scamp thinks he's a squirrel when it comes to a Christmas tree. What advice would you give people on bunny proofing trees, avoiding toxic decorations (or foods) etc.

I think my advice would be to make sure you know what to do if you need a vet i.e. who your out of hours service is, because there will be quite a few days when your regular vet won't be available.

I'm having my first Christmas with Millie and Maddie this year. It's their second Christmas but they were with the RSPCA having just been spayed last year.

I've got a Christmas window sill this year with a little tree and the presents underneath, all out of their reach!

One thing I did think of is making sure I order another bale from timothyhay.co.uk probably this week to make sure it arrives before the Christmas rush and I have enough hay to last into new year.

We usually have our tree on a table so it can't get nibbled lol
And no pressies under it because they just get unwrapped!! (It's happened before)

Main worry for me is the wires from the tree which are hopefully taped high enough not to nibble. I chose a quite high plug too deliberately.

The wires on the tree lights are well covered but this year Rolo has taken to disappearing behind the tree and pulling bits off - thankfully it's not a real tree and he doesn't eat them, just scatters them over the floor but I really do need to find a way of blocking it off.

My daughter suggested putting presents in the way but knowing Rolo like I do, I think he'd open them all :lol:

I've also got some little decorations on the hearth and this has definitely upset him - the hearth is where he likes to lie and he really doesn't like anything in his way! He nudges them out of the way and then looks at me as if to say "don't you dare put them back" :lol:

Its our first Christmas in our new house and with Milo and Finn! I'm excited =D Luckily those two won't get at my Christmas tree! They are getting a stocking each though :D x

We have an artificial tree as I heard that in enclosed spaces the phenols in a lot of real ones can cause liver/kidney damage

And we put it in a puppy pen so they can't get too close

But for the rest of things we make sure it's out of their zone (unheated conservatory and outside) so bunny proofing for us is pretty easy

I don't decorate so job done :lol: it's Chery, Jacquetta and Lady Katherine's first Christmas and my second with Blueberry & Blackavar. My third with Sliper.

The hares' first Christmas with us (and two of the hamsters first). I have got some posh hay (hay 4 pets) which I have already had to start as our organic small bale has run out.

I hope to get a nice new floor in their shed!

My buns have their own rooms so no access to the tree or anything else which makes it a lot easier :lol:

However when we lived in the flat I bought wireless Christmas tree lights, they were little plastic candles that clipped onto the tree and were remote controlled :lol: I actually really liked how they looked, very old fashioned! They are normally quite expensive but mine came from lidl and so were nice and cheap (even if they needed loads of batteries :shock:)

little plastic candles that clipped onto the tree and were remote controlled :lol: I actually really liked how they looked, very old fashioned!
My Mum had REAL ones of those (actual candles which you light) but we never used them XD

Lopsy's outside and won't get any unusual presents he wouldn't normally have got ;P We don't put decorations up anyway, as we're not home most of December and early January (too busy and no point!). We're off to OH's parents for just under a week as usual and one of my work colleagues is popping in to keep an eye on Lopsy :) She's not bunny-experienced but is very animal-savvy and has told me I need to tell her what to look out for as well as all the usual things I've been told I need to tell people, without me even mentioning them XD And it's not like Lopsy cares who sees to him as long as they feed him (more than I do ;P) :)

My buns live in a shed just outside our back door, so wont get to see many xmas decorations or foodstuffs.

But, since we have put our tree up there has been bits of tinsel everywhere, and the other morning I took a piece in to them, unknowingly stuck to my sock. I didn't even know it was there until Forest came to examine me, as he does, he picked off the tinsel and carried it with great glee underneath their shed-hidey, he did not want me to have it back.

I tried all the 'No Forest'... 'Please don't eat that'.... 'Give it to me, it's mine'... 'Pleeeeasse'... bunny commands and thankfully he let me have it, but it's made me be much more aware of what I could be taking in to them on my clothes.

They have lots of presents under our tree, for xmas day :thumb:

Back