• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lopsy and the 'Not Knowing What I Want!' moments

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I was at home, unwell with an intense headache. The OH got Lopsy his breakfast (a couple of rose branches: he doesn't 'do' broccoli!) so I went out about 3pm when I felt less half-blind to feed him proper. I got the carpet out ready for the cold night ahead and put it half over the hutch, put a brick on one side of it and the other in the mini-path ready for later. Then I went into the hutch to fetch the snugglesafe out: Lopsy decided he wanted something so came in, so I shut the door as he's liable to make a jump for it! He nosed the door aggressively and when I poked my finger through to reassure him, gave it a good no-sniff-first bite, then 'dug' at the bars. So I mumbled at him and, following the example of some of the rabbit behaviours on here, locked the door and turned my back on him. After about 30s I turned back and he was grumping in his litter tray :) I needed him out of the hutch so I could fetch out his snugglesafe, change his indoor water and litter tray, so I went off and filled his treatball, as he'd already eaten all the kale and decided Nuclear Cabbage (the 'middle' and stalk of a cabbage that looks like a nuclear explosion mushroom cloud ;P) wasn't up to scratch, nor was hanging broccoli or sprouts, so I think he was hassling me for supposedly decent food...

So, I got him his treatball and finished with his hutch things, and as I came back down to go inside, he was pushing his ball around merrily. Except when it went near a tunnel or other obstruction, including the sprout stalk bit that I'd cut for him: he picked these things up and moved them (or threw them if he could) as far away as possible! It was hilarious to watch him getting 'irate' with them :) He's decided going into tunnels with the treatball is too much like hard work but has worked out how to control it better now :) He still 'tortoises' in his orange hideyhole though XD

In other food news, he's decided he doesn't like the stalks of cauliflower. LOVES the stalks of Savoy and green cabbage, but not really sprouts or cauli: prefers sprout stalks over cauli though! And like the leaves of cauli... He also has a thing with Readigrass: he laps it up when first offered, then after a mouthful or two goes off for something else. And has decided that the green leafy bits of the carrot are BETTER than the orange bit?! Clearly mental and fussy...!

He is obviously a Bunny with attitude !! :lol:

He's right about the green tops of carrots, far better for him than the actual carrot :thumb:

NEW! Binkies!

He had another mental moment this morning: I was really worried at first, though he was unwell or something, because he'd never done it before! Bear in mind we've had him, what, 4 months, and we've had bunny-500s, bouncing backwards and forwards like a mental case and relaxed flops but no PROPER binkying I've seen, and this morning, bouncing up and down and round and all over and proper binkying! He came over in a weird way, kinda bouncy, kinda head-shaking, and I was all 'erm, you alright?!' and then when I bent over to stroke him he shot off towards the back of the run, bouncing and jumping and kicking and all sorts! I was a bit concerned because we'd had sneezes on Monday: one incidence of about 6-7 sneezes, so I've been on the lookout for ANY other symptoms since (I think a bit of my weird woolly sticky out bits on my glove went up his nose, to be fair ;P). So I put his broccoli stalks down, tied the broccoli string up and then fetched his treatball with The Stick. He doesn't like The Stick, but he was sat on the log tunnel and just watching me today, then decided, as ball was next to orange thing, he'd have a go at the ball. Cue tortoising for about 5mins while I'm freezing my backside off and my feet are getting cold and possibly wet :roll: Should've prepared! Then he got bored and left the ball alone so I retrieved it and opened it further so he could get the rest of the pellets out. He came back over, pushed it a bit and some fell out, so while he was busy eating I had a stroke: no ill effects, no bouncing away like he was hurt, no differences to normal ;P THEN I realised what he'd been doing and had a bit of a giggle XD Went to check on him when I took the bin out: normal self, pretending he's not enjoying the broccoli stalk at all and eyeing me up to see if I'm forthcoming with food :D

I have to say, if I hadn't seen all that footage, stills and description of binkying before, I'd've thought he'd got some brain disease XD

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Lopsy might be just a little bit food orientated !! :lol:
Whatever gives you that impression?! I've been waiting for an amusing food-related anecdote to reply to this with and I have one today XD

First, when I got home Wednesday night I took the bin back round and said hello, and he looked at me so I went over, and wanted headrubs! Not unheard of but unusual. Even when I retrieved the end of the broccoli stalk with one hand he ate it but went back to accepting rubs for a bit before being bored. Soppy thing. And that one's just to prove he's not ALL about food ;P I think he's just trying to convince himself, personally ;P

And then this morning, I went out (late, so post-sunrise) to give him his brocolli and a whole leafy carrot (treat time as I'm going away for the weekend) and his head was soaked! Proper wet, like he'd been dunked in a bucket! The rest of him from just behind his ears backwards was bone dry. I think he'd shoved himself into a tunnel and been eating something out of the end in the rain, or maybe been sat mostly under the tarp and eating something 'outside' in the rain... Idiot XD :lol: :love: Have sent an email to the OH to check him a bit better later than he would normally to make sure he's not chilled his face or something stupid!

I did think he might've dunked himself in his water bowl, but it's not really deep enough to cover his whole head...!

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Lopsy might be just a little bit food orientated !! :lol:
Whatever gives you that impression?! I've been waiting for an amusing food-related anecdote to reply to this with and I have one today XD

First, when I got home Wednesday night I took the bin back round and said hello, and he looked at me so I went over, and wanted headrubs! Not unheard of but unusual. Even when I retrieved the end of the broccoli stalk with one hand he ate it but went back to accepting rubs for a bit before being bored. Soppy thing. And that one's just to prove he's not ALL about food ;P I think he's just trying to convince himself, personally ;P

And then this morning, I went out (late, so post-sunrise) to give him his brocolli and a whole leafy carrot (treat time as I'm going away for the weekend) and his head was soaked! Proper wet, like he'd been dunked in a bucket! The rest of him from just behind his ears backwards was bone dry. I think he'd shoved himself into a tunnel and been eating something out of the end in the rain, or maybe been sat mostly under the tarp and eating something 'outside' in the rain... Idiot XD :lol: :love: Have sent an email to the OH to check him a bit better later than he would normally to make sure he's not chilled his face or something stupid!

I did think he might've dunked himself in his water bowl, but it's not really deep enough to cover his whole head...!

A food orientated bunny..................almost unheard of............NOT!!! My Delilah will do anything for food....I mean anything!!!!! But we love them all. :love::love:

I'm away for the weekend and OH messaged me yesterday to say he thinks Lopsy misses me, as he's tried to burrow out of his run, to try and find me! :love:

A food orientated bunny..................almost unheard of............NOT!!! My Delilah will do anything for food....I mean anything!!!!! But we love them all. :love::love:

Slipper will do anything for food too including thumping if I'm late to tell me he wants food to biting me if I'm not fast enough. I can make him do anything I want if food is involved :roll::lol::love:

More digging! :roll:

Here's Lopsy's efforts from this morning/last night: we think he digs holes because his ball gets stuck and he's trying to get it out (as you can see in this shot from 7:15am today):

10801497_10101385979489788_6117911481432363865_n.jpg

Matt said one brick was enough to fill the hole but he put more in to discourage furthering of that particular hole!

If he does make it out, we've bunny-proofed the garden as much as possible so he shouldn't be off into the road or anything!

Back