• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re rehoming a rabbit

moi

Mama Doe
I have been up most the night thinking about this. After the trios falling out (Buster badly attacked Peggy and she ended up having an emergency op to remove part of her chin he'd ripped off, and sewing her bottom lips back together) I feel I dont want to bond him with any of my Buns. I know these things can happen but it has knocked my confidence in bonding and I wouldnt ever be able to relax. But I would feel incredibly mean keeping him as a single bunny for the rest of his life. So in the new year I will look into rehoming him. How would I go about it?? x

Im sorry you are in this situation but I completely understand your decision and it can't have been an easy one.

I found fantastic homes for Rosie and Freddie through RU. Freddie went to an RU friend and Rosie got homed through rabbits in need. Rabbit rehome is another option.

I gave a detailed description on Rosie and her personality etc and I had a lot of boxes that needed to be ticked when choosing her new home. It's a stressful process but worth it to see them happy and content in their new homes xx

Last edited:
I completely understand too. I too would be worried sick the whole time about the same thing happening again. Perhaps someone could have him as a house bunny so he'd get lots of company and attention.

Why would you feel mean about keeping him as a single bunny? I've got 5, which included 2 bonded pairs and a single bun who hates all other rabbits.

I no in general it is best to have bonded pairs, but there is always the exception to the rule, even where rabbits are concerned, and occassionally you come across the odd one, as I myself have, that just don't want to live with another.

My bun attacked and caused a terrible injury to another of my buns, and he will stay a single bun now, because he's not ever having the opportunity to do that to another bun. To be honest, it was no where near as bad as what your Buster did, which sounds absolutely horrific, and I'd be very surprised if anyone would take him on to bond with their bun, with him having done that much damage.

Last edited:
If I could have him as a house bun I would not mind having him as a single bunny so much. But that's not an option. Peggy and Tonic have the outhouse which is attatched to our living room, so that's taken up. Living outside he wouldn't have much interaction and that's what make me feel mean. Its a horrible desision to have to make but I feel I'm doing the right thing. He's been put on the waiting list for the rspcas that are nearby. Maybe he'd be good in a pair, but I'd be too nervous to risk it now. X

Please be careful sending him to an RSPCA to rehome, unless it's RSPCA Walsall, who are fab with bunnies. You'd be better off with a reputable private rescue to help you.

Please be careful sending him to an RSPCA to rehome, unless it's RSPCA Walsall, who are fab with bunnies. You'd be better off with a reputable private rescue to help you.

How come, are they not very good? x

Im sorry you are in this situation but I completely understand your decision and it can't have been an easy one.

I found fantastic homes for Rosie and Freddie through RU. Freddie went to an RU friend and Rosie got homed through rabbits in need. Rabbit rehome is another option.

I gave a detailed description on Rosie and her personality etc and I had a lot of boxes that needed to be ticked when choosing her new home. It's a stressful process but worth it to see them happy and content in their new homes xx

Do you think its worth asking around on here? x

It's very hard to answer that. There will, I'm sure, be individuals who are rabbit savvy at different branches but generally knowledge and follow up is woeful and neglect rate post adoption (more through ignorance than intent) is quite high (if bunny reaches point if adoption).

This is coming from someone who was heavily involved in the RSPCA relatively locally to you and when she left, ended up putting in an exceptionally large formal complaint about specific incidents of rabbit neglect. Massive changes were brought about and yet sources and the public still inform me that it's no better.

I would worry about Buster's welfare, both long term and short term.

Oh blimey I didnt realise. I may ask about on here and also go to other rescue centres like wood green x

I see, and yes I totally agree with you in that case. Sorry I thought he was a house bunny already.

RSPCA Walsall are apparently brilliant with bunnies as is the Macclesfield branch, but I wouldn't risk any of the others, as there is a very high risk that they will take him giving you all the assurances in the world of finding him a good home, and then putting him to sleep.

Believe me, I know this as it happened to me.

I see, and yes I totally agree with you in that case. Sorry I thought he was a house bunny already.

RSPCA Walsall are apparently brilliant with bunnies as is the Macclesfield branch, but I wouldn't risk any of the others, as there is a very high risk that they will take him giving you all the assurances in the world of finding him a good home, and then putting him to sleep.

Believe me, I know this as it happened to me.

He was living in my outhouse which is attatched to my home.... but the temperature in that room is no warmer than outside so currently he has had to go back outside. x

Oh blimey I didnt realise. I may ask about on here and also go to other rescue centres like wood green x

I don't know where abouts you are in England, but I rehomed my Rosy Posy through Wood Green Godmanchester and they were excellent. They have great set-ups there - hutches and runs with runaround tunnels, aviaries and indoor enclosures - and the staff have always seemed very knowledgable. We enquired about rehoming one of their rabbits years ago and although we didn't actually do it, I also found their home checking etc was very informative and responsibly done. We also got our cats from there :) would definitely recommend them! Although they have a fairly decent waiting list, as do lots of rescues I imagine :(

I don't know where abouts you are in England, but I rehomed my Rosy Posy through Wood Green Godmanchester and they were excellent. They have great set-ups there - hutches and runs with runaround tunnels, aviaries and indoor enclosures - and the staff have always seemed very knowledgable. We enquired about rehoming one of their rabbits years ago and although we didn't actually do it, I also found their home checking etc was very informative and responsibly done. We also got our cats from there :) would definitely recommend them! Although they have a fairly decent waiting list, as do lots of rescues I imagine :(

Peggy and Tonic were from woodgreen x

Back