• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my rabbits live in the garage?

MP2014

New Kit
Just wondered if it would be ok to house our rabbits in the garage.
There's no windows in there at all - would they be ok in the dark? Can anyone recommend a good set up?
The rabbits can't live in the house unfortunately so thought the garage would be an ideal alternative but not heard of anyone doing this before - advice welcome!

Obviously there will be no car.
Ok that's weird, saw an old thread on here and people had them housed in there.
Nevermind. I will think of something else.

A garage isn't a problem in itself - it's just an out building, but like Jane says it sounds like you'd want to do some adaptions iin your specific case. They'd need light during the day for their bodies to know day/night (some body processes rely on that to function) - ideally sunlight but you could use artificial lights on a timer. It would be worth costing up the changes you'd need to make as it might work out cheaper than building something specific from scratch. Depending on how your garage is built you could swap out the door for one with a window or add a roof light, adding a vent if necessary shouldn't be too expensive. If you don't have electrics in there already you might want to consider that even with a window so you can see the bunnies easily at night/winter evenings.

mine will be living in the garage from the spring. I don't have a car, the garage has a window and a side door that will be replaced with something transparent. if its possible financially, electricity and water will be going in. the base is concrete so each of the two compounds will have small 'decked' area. half of each compound will be a tent, initially, and the carriers will be in there, very cosy. I'm leaving the garage door on but insulating it and blocking the small gap at the bottom. they'll have supervised run time at first, then an aviary with constant access when I can afford it.

As already stated, garages are fine as long as there is a good source of light, natural or artificial, during daylight hours.

Obviously there will be no car.
Ok that's weird, saw an old thread on here and people had them housed in there.
Nevermind. I will think of something else.
My rabbits are in the garage but there are 2 big windows letting in a lot of light plus a garden door.'Also they have a runaround to the outside. If you can make it work it's great:warm and dry; lots of space; storage is plentiful.

Mine have two runs in the garage, a shed and a run outside. The garage is always open though, as the shed prevents it from being closed, so there is no problem with air conditions etc. They actually prefer to sleep in the garage rather than in the shed. :roll:

Back