• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jewel Bug

Lobo

Mama Doe
Found this little one on a pot plant outside. It is a jewel bug or metallic shield bug from the family scutelleridae.

Crikey !!:shock:

I have seen something similar here but I had no idea what it was. It was certainly mostly green and very shiny. I guess whatever it was it must come from a similar insect group.

PS If you have any spare warm weather over there can you send it our way please, it's flippin' freezing here !! I had to watch the episode of 'Inspector Morse' that is set in New South Wales' last night just to try to help me imagine some warm weather.

Very pretty! I catch lots of jewel bugs in Animal Crossing! :D

I love looking at metallic beetles, we have some here, like tiger beetles, june bugs, metallic blue flea beetles. They're so neat!

Very pretty! I catch lots of jewel bugs in Animal Crossing! :D

I love looking at metallic beetles, we have some here, like tiger beetles, june bugs, metallic blue flea beetles. They're so neat!

Do you think the bug I saw in my garden this summer was some sort of Beetle ?. It looked very much like the one Lobo has shown us, but it was entirely green. I didn't hang about to ask it what it was as it scared the life out of me !!

Do you think the bug I saw in my garden this summer was some sort of Beetle ?. It looked very much like the one Lobo has shown us, but it was entirely green. I didn't hang about to ask it what it was as it scared the life out of me !!

Could it have been a blue shieldbug? They can look green depending on the lighting, and they're native to the UK I think.

Wow .... Are they your pictures? Amazing photography xx

The bug is only a whisker over 1cm long so I took the pictures with a 100mm macro lens. They are not as clear as I would have liked because I had to handhold the camera due to where the little one was sitting

Crikey !!:shock:

I have seen something similar here but I had no idea what it was. It was certainly mostly green and very shiny. I guess whatever it was it must come from a similar insect group.

PS If you have any spare warm weather over there can you send it our way please, it's flippin' freezing here !! I had to watch the episode of 'Inspector Morse' that is set in New South Wales' last night just to try to help me imagine some warm weather.

You would be welcome to some of our weather of late, 17° one day and 30° the next with hail storms nearly every afternoon.

Back