• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling Deflated

Mandmcc

Alpha Buck
Just popped into P@H for some emergency straw tonight and they had tonnes and tonnes of young bunnies. Every cell had a group of three, four or five. They must be getting reading for Christmas, it makes me feel very sad. I rescued Bobert from their adoption centre earlier in the year and when I looked in all the cells, every one of them had at least one baby Bobert in there so they probably all come from the same breeder. Not to mention that the store is all toasty warm but most of those young bunnies will be out in the cold before they know it and will be unprepared and might not have a friend for company / warmth. It breaks my heart.

A lady, Cerys, at my local sanctuary did this article recently and I wish people would listen and think twice

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...fore-buying-a-pet-for-christmas-30795264.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good article. Sadly we are an 'impulse buy' society. Not everybody has even a basic understanding of animals' needs.

Good article. Sadly we are an 'impulse buy' society. Not everybody has even a basic understanding of animals' needs.

I know but it's so maddening to see a shop actively not give people the right info; yes they'd sell less animals but the people who were buying them would have proper expectations of care requirements. I feel so frustrated by it. I've got four rescue buns, Assisi has their limit of rabbits and Cerys says they have a waiting list of four or five rabbits for every place they have filled and then I look in Petsmart and see the next lot waiting to be sold. It's heart breaking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of baby buns in my local garden centre this week too. With a big sign advertising Christmas reservations and a Christmas Eve pickup option. Grrrrr!! :censored:

I thought P@H wouldn't sell animals at Christmas and Easter? In our local shop if you wanted to buy an animal you had to get a voucher and come back after new year. It's a shame if they've gone back on this :(

We use vets for pets (the ones inside p@h) I was shocked at the amount of rabbits they had in there when I went in on Friday, I've never seen them have that many before, they definitely looked like they were all for sale :( Xx

I read Cery's article too but i wish more people would take her advice on board. I know they always seem to have loads of young bunnies in the Boucher Road P@H. I always worry about their fate :(

Such a shame,I pop in to PAH for wild bird food now and then.I do try and put folk off that gawp at the "pretty" buns by saying ,oh they are a complicated pet to keep,they need expensive vet care etc.

Back