• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping outdoor buns warm!

carysannie29

Young Bun
My two buns are living outside in a hutch with two runs. Their hutch is full of hay and is covered with a blanket and a tarp, they have a pet carrier downstairs with a soft bed in it and carpet covering some of the paving slabs.

I'm worried tonight though because it's so cold and frosty. I would like to put a hot water bottle or something in the hutch but they're chewers and obviously that would be dangerous! Is there anything I could do to make it warmer for them, I'll be worried about them all night :(

Hello :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417899964&sr=8-1&keywords=snuggle+safe

This us what I use and lots of others here too as they are safe for bunnies and will last a long time :) xxxxxx

Also if they are chewers I read somewhere here the other day you could wrap this tightly in newspaper and replac it daily so they can still nibble it if they feel the urge xxx

As you have two buns tho I wouldn't worry too much they will snuggle together and as long as their hutch is properly covered and draft free they will be OK :) I think some ppl use straw for bedding too as it keeps warmth in more but my buns just get lotsbof hay (and snugglesafe) xxx

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I have read about these before and they seem to have generally good views so I've just ordered one. For tonight I'll just give them loads of hay and I'm sure they'll be ok!

Lopsy's a single bun and he's been fine outside with his snugglesafe through the past few frosty nights: he's got a carpet to go over if it gets even colder too, but his mesh cover has been on pretty much 24/7 (especially in the wind). The recent hay I bought is much more straw-like too which I think helps!

Back