• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I seem destined.. panic over.. Rudy's now eating!!!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I seem destined to spend all my Saturday evenings at the emergency vets....

It's Rudy this time. :cry::cry:

I first notice he wasn't right about an hour ago, he refused a treat. I was just about to prepare their tea so I have given him a piece of spring green leaf. Shortly after I was aware of him not being well he did a fair bit of shuffling, stretching and a lot of panting. Then after half an hour of being reasonably calm he ate the treats so I thought he'd had a gas episode that had resolved. But I've just checked on him and he's still "doing the bellyache thing" and the cabbage is untouched. :(

Rudy used to have these episodes very frequently 3 - 4 years ago but it must be 2-3 years since his last... he did however have a suspected liver torsion last year.

I'm giving him til 9.15 unless he looks very distressed then I'll make the call earlier. .. really hope not to be making the phone call.

Poor Rudy :cry:

Last edited:
Oh no :(

Fingers and paws crossed for Rudy not having to go to the emergency vet. I hope his tummy ache resolves itself.

Thanks all. It's my fault for realising I had no vaccinations until March so wondered how long I could have a break from vet trips.. so four of my bunnies have ganged up on me in 2 weeks :(

Could it be cabbage that's causing problems ? I never give mine cabbage now as so many of them have had gassy tummies from it. Not necessarily after one portion. It seems to have a cumulative effect so if I fed it for 2-3 consecutive days then tummy issues occurred. Especially with my Rexes for some reason :?

They get kale more often than spring greens these day but the kale looked wilted yesterday so I got spring greens instead.

He had green kale last night and cavoloro (sp) nero (black kale) this morning. Interestingly, neither Rudy or Theo touched the kale at first so I gave them both parsley instead. It's really diffiuclt to know because Rudy just hasn't *touch wood* had these problems for such a long time.

Thankfully he's just snatched a little biscuit off me and ate it quickly so I'm hoping he feels better. He was having a wash when I went to check on him.... not counting my chickens as he did eat some of the treats an hour or so ago... but it look promising for Rudy.. me and my Barclaycard.

I'm pleased to announce that Rudy is eating again :D

Feels a bit of a paranoid panicker for starting the thread now :oops: but it was getting me down a bit constantly rushing them to the vets... but hopefully he's over it.

I shall be throwing the rest of the black kale away though as I'm blaming that, for now at least.

Thanks for the vibes.

Hope she remains OK now :)

I swear that for many Rabbits all the kale, cabbage type veg causes gas. Like I said before, I think how often it is fed plays a part too.

I stick with mostly coriander now with dark leafed greens once or twice a week.A portion size is tiny too, just a taster really. If I still had over 30 Rabbits and not just 11 I would not be able to afford so much coriander though.

Back