• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not sure whats wrong with alfie :/ update 9.12.14

Rexripley

Mama Doe
He just looks awful.
His snuffles flared up often and we get medication from the vet which clears it up.
Then he goes through stages of not eating/pooping.
Vet injections usually help.
So we had him at the vet on Wednesday as he wasn't eating.
he started eating again but he just looks awful :/
His teeth are fine.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid but looks like his heads starting to tilt.

Just seems like he's constantly Ill :(

Last edited:
He just looks awful.
His snuffles flared up often and we get medication from the vet which clears it up.
His teeth are fine.

Maybe he has an ear infection. Rabbits prone to Snuffles often go on to have ear problems. Is he on abx at the moment ?

He just looks awful.
His teeth are fine.

I've got a little lad in that position at the moment. He also had an episode of not eating!

I wonder if Alfie should have another course of antibiotics? What injections does the vet give?
B12 injections usually do some good. I've also got my little one on echinacea, especially as it's getting colder now.

Good luck xx

I'm can't remember what the injections were. one was an anti biotic. Hes been on baytril as well.

I'm also concerned Hes deaf which may make sense with the ear infection?

I'll let this course finish and take him back to the vets :(

I'm can't remember what the injections were. one was an anti biotic. Hes been on baytril as well.

A rabbit who's had repeated ear infections can build up scar tissue in the ear canal, which may affect hearing.

Sometimes a huge build up of gunk and pus in the ear canals can cause deafness. It can also be quite painful. So this would contribute to the Rabbit 'looking awful'. Is alfie having regular anti-inflammatory analgesia eg Metacam ?

If his head has now started tilting I would pop him back to the Vet tomorrow rather than waiting til the course of abx has finished

Sending get well vibes for him xx

I hope they can figure out what's up and get him back to his normal self asap, good luck and lots of nose rubs to Alfie x

So the vet on Sunday advised he has an abscess in his mouth but doesn't think it's too the bone so he has some baytril and critical care home. If that doesn't work they'll operate.

Hes been eating the critical care and we have running poos but as Hes in pain at one side of his mouth he can't clean himself properly. I've just noticed he keeps tilting his neck back :(
Any idea what that means?

So the vet on Sunday advised he has an abscess in his mouth but doesn't think it's too the bone so he has some baytril and critical care home. If that doesn't work they'll operate.

Hes been eating the critical care and we have running poos but as Hes in pain at one side of his mouth he can't clean himself properly. I've just noticed he keeps tilting his neck back :(
Any idea what that means?

Do you mean he is tilting his head back to help himself breathe ? If so this is an emergency and you need to contact the Vet again straight away.

They're going to xray him and give me a call to decide if it's the abscess causing all this and if we should operate.

She said sometimes it's not advisable to operate depending on where it is.
Is that right?

They're going to xray him and give me a call to decide if it's the abscess causing all this and if we should operate.

She said sometimes it's not advisable to operate depending on where it is.
Is that right?

Is the 'head tilting' due to respiratory distress ?

They couldn't hear any breathing problems with him. He could have just been looking up and I'm just being extra paranoid just now. Anything not "normal" I've been on the phone or on the last few weeks

Back