• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for a suitable run

anaqi

Warren Scout
Hi!

I need help looking for a suitable run. I'm not allowed to adopt a friend for my recently bereaved rabbit until I get something that is completely fox proof, covered and weatherproof.

My current run is 8 ft long by 7 ft wide and 2 1/2 ft high. I'm looking for something a similar size but I don't have a very big budget.

My personal requirements are it must be at least 2 1/2 ft high and allow a person to sit inside it. The rescue's requirements are it must be completely fox proof, covered and weatherproof.

I already have mesh buried under the ground with a footprint of 10ft by 9ft, which has for a couple of years proved fox proof (and rabbit proof!)

I'm also looking for ideas to make it covered and weatherproof. The site is sheltered by a large fir tree, it never gets direct sunlight and the dense foliage protects somewhat from the rain, but apparently being covered and weatherproof is a requirement to pass the home check. I'd preferably like something that doesn't obscure my view of the rabbits as I like to watch them from my conservatory when it's too cold to sit outside with them.

I can't find anything commercially available that is suitable. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Welfare hutches do a range of 3ft high runs for a reasonable price, and come in big sizes. You could get custom sizes from them too I'm sure: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/3ft_high_runs/cat1466126_1727923.aspx.

For weatherproofing I'd either buy corrugated clear roofing sheets or polycarbonate twin walled sheets and screw them to the roof sections of the run to still allow you to access the run by removing them. They will last well and are nice and solid. You can get them off eBay fairly cheaply - you should be able to do the whole roof for about £30 or so if you choose a listing which suits the sizes you need. They're easily cut down with a stanley knife.

Thanks for the tip about twin walled polycarbonate. Wouldn't it get hot though if the whole of the run was covered in it? I don't want to cook the bunnies in summer!

Wow, those runs are expensive! The price is deceptive as it doesn't include the door or the weather treatment. Unfortunately they aren't weatherproof or accessible for me either.

I've been looking at aviary panels but they look flimsy and I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't as secure as what I have at the moment. You'd think runs that meet rescue minimum requirements would be easier to find!

Thanks for the tip about twin walled polycarbonate. Wouldn't it get hot though if the whole of the run was covered in it? I don't want to cook the bunnies in summer!

Wow, those runs are expensive! The price is deceptive as it doesn't include the door or the weather treatment. Unfortunately they aren't weatherproof or accessible for me either.

I've been looking at aviary panels but they look flimsy and I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't as secure as what I have at the moment. You'd think runs that meet rescue minimum requirements would be easier to find!

I know. Most petshops seel housing that is laughabley small. 6 x 2 x 2 hutches and 8 x 6 runs are expensive but well made ones will (with proper care) last for the rabbits' life times. Good luck with your search. PS my welfare hutches hutch is well made and very strong.

You wouldn't screw the polycarbonate twin walled sheet to all the sides, just the roof. And no it doesn't get any hotter than if they weren't there.

Runs made with quality timber and mesh will be in the same region price wise. It's false economy to buy cheap wood and mesh, as it'll need replacing much sooner. As Tulsi says these runs and hutches will last the rabbits lifetime with good care, so when you factor that in as well as the price of the materials they're well priced. I don't think the prices are deceptive - it's very clear that they're optional extras and you can choose to paint it yourself at home for a cheaper price. The welfare hutch runs are very accessible for humans as all you need to do is lift the top sections out.

Another option would be to search on eBay for people who make runs near you. I got my 8 x 4 x 3 run from a local guy I found on eBay and it's fantastic - lovely 75mm thick wood all over and thick strong mesh for only £140 delivered and erected. As long as you ensure the timber is 50mm or thicker, the mesh is 1 x 1/2inch or smaller and the mesh is galvanised weld mesh of 19g or thicker then you can't go wrong.

Almost no runs will come weatherproofed, you'll almost certainly have to do it yourself.

A run that size is always going to be pretty pricey - I don't know what condition your current one is in but as an interim measure whilst you save up could you modify it? It also might be worth consulting local carpenters and seeing what they would charge - but do make sure they are experienced in building fox-proof runs and are using strong-enough weld mesh, I've seen a few local people near me making them with thin mesh or even chicken-wire.

Weather-proofing can be as simple as a tarpaulin (or maybe a couple for the size you're after) over the run and held down with ties or bricks. This will keep a lot of rain off and as long as they have their hutch attached so they still have a large dry space to escape to, this is fine. You can also get custom-made fitted run covers, but these will cost a lot. The corrugated sheets of course have the advantage of being a more hardy and wind-proof solution. I've never seen runs with weather-proofing included, but I have seen aviaries and kennels with roofs included so if you want it ready-weatherproofed this may be worth looking into, but you will pay much more for these.

Something completely fox proof, covered and weatherproof that is commercially made is not going to be cheap.

A lot of aviary panels are flimsy as they are not made with thick wood and ones that are cost more.
It would be cheaper to do it yourself but it also is a lot of work if you don't have the right tools and set up

I've spent hours researching and I can't find anything that fits my needs. My current set up has proved 100% fox proof and bunny proof for two years and I am confident it will continue to be.

After paying nearly £300 in vets bills and medicines to try and save Peter I simply don't have the funds to splash out on something top of the range. I need to rebuild my savings to allow for any other emergencies so sadly it looks like Rosie will be on her own for a little while longer.

I am not willing to downsize living space and run height just to meet the rescues strict criteria, that wouldn't be fair on Rosie after she's got used to having so much space. It's a shame because I really wanted to do the responsible thing and support a rescue rather than buy from a breeder or take pot luck privately adopting.

I've never bonded rabbits before and would have appreciated the help from a rescue but I'll spend the winter reading up on it and probably have a crack at it myself in the spring if I can find another bunny who I think Rosie will get on with.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! They have been very helpful and I'll bear them in mind for the future.

What are the rescue's requirements other than the weather proofing? I'm sure just a roof on top and maybe the most exposed edge would do would it not? The dimensions sound fab so long as the rabbit isn't a giant one (who would need a slightly taller run!).

I've spent hours researching and I can't find anything that fits my needs. My current set up has proved 100% fox proof and bunny proof for two years and I am confident it will continue to be.

After paying nearly £300 in vets bills and medicines to try and save Peter I simply don't have the funds to splash out on something top of the range. I need to rebuild my savings to allow for any other emergencies so sadly it looks like Rosie will be on her own for a little while longer.

I am not willing to downsize living space and run height just to meet the rescues strict criteria, that wouldn't be fair on Rosie after she's got used to having so much space. It's a shame because I really wanted to do the responsible thing and support a rescue rather than buy from a breeder or take pot luck privately adopting.

I've never bonded rabbits before and would have appreciated the help from a rescue but I'll spend the winter reading up on it and probably have a crack at it myself in the spring if I can find another bunny who I think Rosie will get on with.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! They have been very helpful and I'll bear them in mind for the future.

If your run is bunny proof and fox proof now, are you sure it doesn't already meet their criteria? Your original post made it sound like what you had wasn't suitable for the bunnies any more and that you needed a new setup, but from your last post it sounds like it is strong enough and maybe just needs a little weather proofing? Is that right? If so, what I'd advise is modifying your existing setup, it shouldn't be hard to meet the rescues' standards without spending too much. If you post pics of the setup and say where you think its not quite up to scratch anymore, I'm sure people can find some easy solutions for you. From the sounds of it, the main one will just be buying some tarpaulin or corrugated plastic, which is a quick and inexpensive thing to do.

I showed the rescue a photo of my run and they said that type could be breached by foxes and it was only suitable for daytime supervised exercise. They said I need a run that is foxproof and weatherproof. Also because I only have a double 4 ft hutch and a single 4 ft hutch enclosed in the run (and accessible 24/7) they would not adopt to me unless I got a minimum 6 x 2 x 2ft hutch.

I fully appreciate that the rescue needs to have a strict criteria to ensure a safe home for the bunnies they adopt out and I appreciate my run is not perfect and could be improved, but I have done my very best to make it safe and secure. I check it every day and it has proved 100% bunny proof and fox proof in the couple of years I've had it. Maybe I've just been lucky?

It is impossible to meet the rescues criteria of a 100% foxproof and weatherproof run and new housing without spending at least £400, which I don't have at the moment. Modifying my set-up is not really possible to satisfy them so I'll just leave it for now and start saving up after Christmas.

Can you post a piccy of your set up here? Maybe we can suggest some affordable fixer uppers!

Can you post a piccy of your set up here? Maybe we can suggest some affordable fixer uppers!

:thumb: I think this would be a good idea, it certainly wouldn't hurt. If your current setup isn't fox proof it would be worth addressing this anyway for the sake of your existing bunny - I've seen the destruction caused by foxes from members posting pics on here before and they are very determined and it only takes one fox to pass by - would be worth looking at improving the security of the run for your peace of mind.

Also, what is the minimum size of run that the rescue would be happy with?

Last edited:
A pic of the would be good, adjusting your current run is likely to be the cheaper option. Is it one of those all wire ones without a frame?

Hutches are a little harder to upgrade cheaply, but a second hand playhouse might suit your budget if you can find one locally. They start from about 4'x4' which gives you slightly more floorspace than a 6' hutch. Double check with the rescue but usually they are more than happy with that as an option.

My lovely husband has come to my rescue! He's going to chip in towards the cost of a new run instead of getting me a Christmas present this year.

I've ordered a pipe connector so I can join it to my big hutch and I can keep my little hutch inside the run as extra shelter/hiding/living space. The run isn't weather proof but it has a shelter at one end and to be honest the site is under a really big fir tree so it never gets direct sunlight and my rabbits can sit outside in the rain and not get wet, but I always have the option of putting a tarpaulin over it or something. The whole lot came to £170.

My hubby was really impressed with the whole pipe thing. He said maybe we can get some more pipes in the summer and connect them to my existing run, that way we can move it around the garden and he won't have to mow the lawn! LOL!

Once I've saved up a bit more I can upgrade the housing. I had been looking at playhouses and bike sheds for a while now. The playhouses are mostly 4ft square so still wouldn't meet the 6ft minimum length criteria, but the bike sheds look promising. They are 6ft long and 3ft wide, which is plenty big enough, I could add a platform for more internal space and cut holes in the door to make mesh windows. It has a lot of potential.

My current run was a wire one but it's a lot stronger than it looks. It is pegged to the ground every 6 inches, braced in a rectangle which means it's really stable and won't collapse in on itself, and it's covered with mesh. We also secured the spring loaded door opening as my last rabbit was a total escape artist and would try to nudge it open.

The run was strong enough to survive 8 year old boys and their footballs crashing into it (yes they did get told off for playing near the rabbit!) and it has never been breached by a fox, dog, cat or rabbit. I did once find our friendly local robin in it scavenging a piece of hay and I found a slug on the food bowl one morning after some heavy rainfall in the night, but never a fox.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks everyone!

A pipe connector is a great way to expand space :)

Check with the rescue on playhouses - usually what they are really looking for is space on one level and 4'x4' gives you 16 sq. ft. as compared to 12 in a 6ft hutch. Plus diagonally you're only a few inches short of 6'. A bike shed would be good too though, I think the big doors can make access easier than some smaller playhouses.

You could probably add a wooden frame around the run. They do vary in quality quite a bit so I can understand why a rescue might be worried - some are really flimsy.

won't have to mow the lawn!
Tee hee, I use that line too! Though it's me who mows it anyway! OH has found that rabbit is a good way of disposing of various garden weeds etc. too :)

My first rabbit's run lasted the whole rabbit's lifetime (10 years) plus a good many more as a cabbage protector, washing basket stand and God-knows-what else, plus attempted fox, cat and squirrel entry XD. My Dad made it and hopefully this latest one will be as good.

Good luck with yours!

Back