• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit savvy vet in Sutton Coldfield/Birmingham area

Emma-C

New Kit
Hi, please could someone recommend a rabbit savvy vet in the Sutton Coldfield area?

I took Oscar for his first vaccinations today, but unfortunately it was a very stressful experience for both of us. I told the vet that it was our first vet trip and that Oscar seemed nervous. The vet picked Oscar up around his tummy and left his back legs kicking, which really spooked him. He wriggled away and made a very scary leap off the top of the examination table onto the floor. The vet then chased him around the room to try and pick him up again. He was scrabbling around so much I was terrified he would injure himself! I crouched down and managed to scoop Oscar up when he came near. Only then did the vet mention that she normally examines rabbits on the floor so they can't hurt themselves by jumping off the table - not sure why she didn't do this in our case.

It was so horrible - Oscar had his injections in his box, and was breathing very very quickly, and obviously very stressed. I felt sorry for the vet because she seemed very anxious that he might have hurt himself, but I was just so shocked at the way she handled and chased him, as though she wasn't used to rabbits.

I've never taken a rabbit to the vet before - is this normal? I hope not! Can you suggest a more rabbit savvy vet I can visit in future?

Thanks!

That sounds a disastrous vet trip!!!! I would change vets immediately - and perhaps send the vet you have just visited a leaflet about the RWA and their conferences and training for vets!!!!

Thank you, have registered Oscar with Ashwood Vets, and hopefully we can see Stuart when it's time for neutering!

I highly recommend Manor Vets who have practices in Edgbaston, Halesowen, Cradley Heath and Northfield. Marie Kubiak who is based primarily at Edgbaston is fantastic, and I've also had great experienced with Steph, Ben and I've only seen Lindsay once but she too was great. Nena and Tapla have both been under their care quite a lot in the last year and I'm absolutely chuffed with all aspects of their care. Couldn't recommend them more.

Back