• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you leave the lights on for your bunnies?

Andie

Young Bun
This might be a silly question, but my rabbits are in a north facing room and at this time of year it's rather gloomy, so I'm not sure if I should leave the lights on for them while I'm at work, or maybe they are not bothered since they usually get out at twilight anyway? Usually I switch the lights on when I get home and turn them off when I go to bed but I keep wondering on dark mornings whether that's too gloomy for them all day long... :)

I don't, they get natural light although their rooms are very dingy at the minute. It seems to be going dark almost before it's finished getting light this time of year :roll:

I don't leave a light on, as the natural ( although low light for us ) is probably enough for them at this time of year.
Them being buns, who live underground and hide under bushes a lot in the wild.
I find bright artificial light tends to scare mine... they live in a shed with windows which I can cover / uncover... what I do do is have a night light that comes on when the natural light drops... the night light is very useful for my comings and goings, and brings a warm cheer to the shed during these dark evenings... it helps me relax and spend more time out there with them too, which can't be a bad thing and makes being with the Buns so much more rewarding, safe and enjoyable. x

My outdoor rabbits are in sheds. The quad have a lovely light shed (three windows) but the hares have only two windows and its much darker. I do worry about that a bit and am in the process of getting a run made (money allowing).

Mottle and Peaches (avatar) are indoors and their room is south facing so no problem.

If I had a darkish room I may be tempted to get a natural daylight bulb and put that on during daylight hours.

Thanks for all the replies! :) It's true, they wouldn't have lights in their burrows either. ;) Maybe I'll get something slightly less bright to leave on, and a nightlight sounds a good idea too, I do wonder how they are finding the litter tray in the dark at night. :)

I put the light on for mine most days - not all the day, but his room is the darkest and coldest of the house, so I feel it makes it a bit nicer. Plus, when I go to sit with him (he's single) I can't sit in the dark because I'll squish him! :lol: I would rather have a lamp, but can't because there's nowhere bunny safe to have it :roll:

Once I'm in bed, his room is dark. And, as it's so cold at the moment, I draw the curtains at night to keep a bit of warmth in. He doesn't actually get 'daylight' until around 10.30/11am as I am a late riser! If someone else is up before me and they remember, they'll open the curtains for him, but that's not often.

I was wondering the same thing the other day. In the end I left the light and TV on for mine. It gets dark so early now. A night light is a very good idea! Mine wouldn't need it at night as she follows me into the bedroom when I go to sleep, but for dusk if I'm out, and also to be able to see her cage space better during dusky winter months.

Back