• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fussy Spoilt Rabbits Refusing To Eat

Inlé-rah

Warren Scout
My 2 fussy spoilt buns are refusing to eat. They are both healthy rabbits as they had a vets visit last week.
They are refusing to eat anything that isn't pellets, and select veggies. They absolutely love pellets and are now starving themselves until I provide them, they are now refusing to eat readigrass (which all of my past bunnies have ADORED) and beg at the cage for pellets :roll: Everyday they have a generous handful of pellets in their treat ball, unlimited hay, readigrass, and veggies/salad at night....I am trying to stick to a more natural diet hence the readigrass, unlimited hay and limited pellets.

Should I be worried that they are refusing to eat....

I don't feel as if this is my fault. I think they are just fussy rabbits.... :(

I assume the Vet checked their teeth ?

What is their poo output like and are they drinking ?

Have you tried them with a variety of different hays ?

It could be that they're fussy - some bunnies are very picky about hay and/or just aren't good hay eaters. It took me a lot of effort but I converted my buns into good hay eaters!

There's a lot of different techniques you can try to get them interested - different hays, using a hay rack, putting hay in a litterpan so they can sit in it and eat, putting hay on the floor, putting hay in toys e.g. a toilet paper roll, pay attention to if they like stalky bits or non-stalky bits more (mine for awhile wanted only non-stalky, then started eating stalky too), refresh the hay often since they like it fresh, mix pellets and veg in with hay, etc.

What worked for me was putting a small amount of hay on the floor for them very often, like every hour. Then eventually it was a handful every couple of hours. They wanted it very fresh (and still prefer it to be refreshed every few hours but it's not mandatory now) and they don't like it if any old hay (as in more than several hours old) is left in because it gets mixed with the new hay. So I don't put loads in at a time so there's not a bunch of old hay leftover. But what works for one bun won't work for another - you'll probably have to try a few techniques before you'll be able to tell what they like and don't like :)

first check their health again.

buy some plain cheap hay and provide it in plentiful amounts, many smaller servings rather than one large amount that they can wee on and ignore. don't give pellets as 'extras', don't give treats, and very gradually cut back on the pellets you give them as meals. gradually cut back on the veg/salad till they are only having a little or until their general fussiness has been overcome.

I used to be an over-indulgent rabbit owner with fussy rabbits. now, four bunnehs are happy to eat nice cheap hay and be overjoyed if they hear the odd pellet rustling in the bag...

I have a bunny who won't eat hay. All my others have eaten virtually nothing but. Hector, however, just won't. Given that was leading to tummy troubles, I've had to concentrate on getting it right by another method. He's now a forage-bun (fresh and dried) with a bit of veg and some pellets. That works for him and maintains his healthy weight. I have tried cutting the pellets but he simply loses weight and starves himself. He will do a bit of Readigrass and a bit of alfalfa hay but, basically, nothing else. It really was hard work, trial and error with him but, fingers crossed, he's been stable for while now. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume the Vet checked their teeth ?

What is their poo output like and are they drinking ?

Have you tried them with a variety of different hays ?

Yes they had a full health check and are healthy buns
They are pooping often and is the normal healthy round poops
I've tried them on meadow hay and timothy hay, and they have tried about 4 different brands so far

It could be that they're fussy - some bunnies are very picky about hay and/or just aren't good hay eaters. It took me a lot of effort but I converted my buns into good hay eaters!

There's a lot of different techniques you can try to get them interested - different hays, using a hay rack, putting hay in a litterpan so they can sit in it and eat, putting hay on the floor, putting hay in toys e.g. a toilet paper roll, pay attention to if they like stalky bits or non-stalky bits more (mine for awhile wanted only non-stalky, then started eating stalky too), refresh the hay often since they like it fresh, mix pellets and veg in with hay, etc.

What worked for me was putting a small amount of hay on the floor for them very often, like every hour. Then eventually it was a handful every couple of hours. They wanted it very fresh (and still prefer it to be refreshed every few hours but it's not mandatory now) and they don't like it if any old hay (as in more than several hours old) is left in because it gets mixed with the new hay. So I don't put loads in at a time so there's not a bunch of old hay leftover. But what works for one bun won't work for another - you'll probably have to try a few techniques before you'll be able to tell what they like and don't like :)

Thanks for the tips, they have a hay rack above their litter tray and also have a handful in their tray too. I tried tempting them with putting hay in toilet roll tubes and toys to make it look more attractive but they aren't interested :roll: I'm finding it really hard work
I'm going to try putting some fresh handfuls on the floor of their cage for them like you suggested, and see if it works. I made a forage box for them the other day, they just tipped it out on the floor and laid in it! I really hope it works as I hate seeing them hungry :( it makes me feel like a bad owner

first check their health again.

buy some plain cheap hay and provide it in plentiful amounts, many smaller servings rather than one large amount that they can wee on and ignore. don't give pellets as 'extras', don't give treats, and very gradually cut back on the pellets you give them as meals. gradually cut back on the veg/salad till they are only having a little or until their general fussiness has been overcome.

I used to be an over-indulgent rabbit owner with fussy rabbits. now, four bunnehs are happy to eat nice cheap hay and be overjoyed if they hear the odd pellet rustling in the bag...

Will get them booked in for another health check soon
I will try giving them small often servings of hay to try to tempt them. I will cut back on the extra pellets and treats too
I hope they both overcome this fussyness! It makes me feel like a bad owner

I have a bunny who won't eat hay. All my others have eaten virtually nothing but. Hector, however, just won't. Given that was leading to tummy troubles, I've had to concentrate on getting it right by another method. He's now a forage-bun (fresh and dried) with a bit of veg and some pellets. That works for him and maintains his healthy weight. I have tried cutting the pellets but he simply loses weight and starves himself. He will do a bit of Readigrass and a bit of alfalfa hay but, basically, nothing else. It really was hard work, trial and error with him but, fingers crossed, he's been stable for while now. Good luck :)

Hector sounds similar to my bunnies, starving themselves because of the lack of pellets :( It really concerns me
I haven't tried mine on alfalfa hay yet, maybe they would prefer the sweetness of that hay compared to the others. I'll just have to monitor the amount they get
I'm glad Hector is now a stable eater! I hope mine can be the same too :)

Hector sounds similar to my bunnies, starving themselves because of the lack of pellets :( It really concerns me
I haven't tried mine on alfalfa hay yet, maybe they would prefer the sweetness of that hay compared to the others. I'll just have to monitor the amount they get
I'm glad Hector is now a stable eater! I hope mine can be the same too :)

Yes. It is all very odd. Given he isn't really fussy about forage or veg (with the exception of any form of parsley) there has to be a reason he doesn't eat hay. However, no one has ever managed to find it!

Fingers crossed for you :)

Yes. It is all very odd. Given he isn't really fussy about forage or veg (with the exception of any form of parsley) there has to be a reason he doesn't eat hay. However, no one has ever managed to find it!

Fingers crossed for you :)

I think I've just been over indulging them with pellets, and veg. They like to make me feel guilty by begging at the door making my heart melt. When my mini lop begs he puts his little feet on the bars of the cage, he has the fluffiest little feet ever and it just makes me want to cry, he's THAT cute. I guess that's why I've been giving in and not being as strict. They know how to make me feel guilty so I supply them with pellets :lol:
I will keep being strict (and not look at those fluffy feet), and hopefully they will realise they need to start eating their hay and readigrass.

This is what I mean by his fluffy feet. His back feet are even fluffier :shock: :love:

fluffyfeet_zps4b3678f1.jpg

Mine eat loads of hay but they won't touch it from a hayrack - has to be piled up in their huge litter trays or in their hutch. Have you tried the sample pack from HayforPets?

Mine eat loads of hay but they won't touch it from a hayrack - has to be piled up in their huge litter trays or in their hutch. Have you tried the sample pack from HayforPets?

Mine have hay in their hay rack and in their litter trays. They hate the hay racks but have the option of eating it from their tray too
Not tried the sample pack yet but was looking into it the other day, it's worth a go to see if they like any of those hays, then I can go ahead and buy the 9kg bag when I find something they like :thumb:
although knowing my buns they won't like any of the samples :roll:

Do you get your hay from hayforpets?

Back