• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buster is looking very sorry for himsefl.....

moi

Mama Doe
He has been bought into a loving home, gone from being a lonely bun to having 2 best friends. Alls gone so well and then out of the blue he savagly attacks them. Tonic came off ok with just a scratch, Peggy on the other hand has spent the night in the vets having her lips sewn back together. Buster didnt have one mark on him. So now he is living on his own and I dont dare bond him with anyone else, I dont even know if I can have him here anymore. Maybe its the shock and anger talking I dont know but I really am cross x I feel guilty as I took the risk of a trio. Never EVER again x

Update: Im calm now and do realise that I was being irrational when I wrote this

Last edited:
Dont be so hard on yourself, you would never have known unless you tried....

Vibes for Peggy... hugs for you but please try not to feel guilty , you did it full of good intentions x

Im being daft I know, hormones are raging also so everything seems greatly exagerated in my brain x

I'm glad you know your feelings are overexagerated.

You don't know it was out of no where, you're just presuming- what if one of them made him jump, or made the first move. What if it wasn't even him, he's just got the blame, or she was eating something nice one of the others wanted and there was no malice at all, just some over enthusiasm. You don't know and you can't know, unfortunately. However, if they were not securely bonded and were still bonding, then they should never have been left alone, and if they were still bonding and if they had supervision, then this would never have happened. Equally, if they were bonded and it was secure and this happened, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes in bonded groups or pairs.

I think your attitude towards him is overly harsh and unfair- he is a rabbit, and he will be confused and scared and lonely. I understand your frustration at the situation, but aiming it at him, who will have just done the best he could in the situation he found himself in, shows a real lack of empathy for him or understanding of rabbits in general. If you genuinely can't get over this, then do please rehome him to someone who can accept him for who he is, where he will get the love he deserves. If you can move past this then you're going to need to think carefully about how you view your rabbits and your expectations of them and acceptance levels of them- they are rabbits, not people. The only one who needs to change, is you, not him.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but my heart breaks for him, because he's just being a bunny, and you're making a shed load of assumptions and judgements about the situation. I do hope Peggy comes home and recovers ok, and that things settle down for you all.

(I'm not normally this harsh, so for whatever reason this has touched 'stuff' in me, and I suspect that's former RSPCA stuff, but I do think my points are valid).

I completely understand how you feel. I think bonding brings out the most extreme of emotions. When if goes well it is amazing when it goes wrong it feels like the world has fallen apart.

When I tried to bond Barney he attacked Lois so badly she could have died. It happened in an instant, I couldn't stop it. She need a big op to stitch her back together. I think its hard on the surface not to struggle with your feelings towards the rabbit that did the attacking. Even though you know deep down he was just doing what rabbits do and it wasn't really his fault. I think some of that is from shock and guilt from seeing another rabbit you love hurt.

I couldn't bond Barney again after that even though he is a lovely friendly boy. So got a friend to do it and the bond was a dream and he is now happily bonded with another partner :)

I would say give yourself time, don;t make a decision now. Concentrate on looking after Peggy as she will need you and try to be kind to Buster too. Even if you can't bring yourself to cuddle him just yet, talk to him nicely and give him a few extra treats. Then take some deep breaths and work out what you will do when its all had time to setlle down x

You don't know it was out of no where, you're just presuming- what if one of them made him jump, or made the first move. What if it wasn't even him, he's just got the blame, or she was eating something nice one of the others wanted and there was no malice at all, just some over enthusiasm. You don't know and you can't know, unfortunately. However, if they were not securely bonded and were still bonding, then they should never have been left alone, and if they were still bonding and if they had supervision, then this would never have happened. Equally, if they were bonded and it was secure and this happened, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes in bonded groups or pairs.

I think your attitude towards him is overly harsh and unfair- he is a rabbit, and he will be confused and scared and lonely. I understand your frustration at the situation, but aiming it at him, who will have just done the best he could in the situation he found himself in, shows a real lack of empathy for him or understanding of rabbits in general. If you genuinely can't get over this, then do please rehome him to someone who can accept him for who he is, where he will get the love he deserves. If you can move past this then you're going to need to think carefully about how you view your rabbits and your expectations of them and acceptance levels of them- they are rabbits, not people. The only one who needs to change, is you, not him.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but my heart breaks for him, because he's just being a bunny, and you're making a shed load of assumptions and judgements about the situation. I do hope Peggy comes home and recovers ok, and that things settle down for you all.

(I'm not normally this harsh, so for whatever reason this has touched 'stuff' in me, and I suspect that's former RSPCA stuff, but I do think my points are valid).

A perfect post that I totally agree with. There is always a reason why a Rabbit suddenly becomes aggressive. No Rabbit is ever nasty out of malice.

Thanks for the that, as I said above my feelings are shock and emotions. And I come on here to vent them. I have not took this out on
Buster apart from in my mind. This morning he got a head rub and all the pampering that all my bunnys have. Because I do know that bunnys being bunnys this can happen... I have said in a previous thred that I felt guilty.... me! I took this risk not Buster. Again I will repeat (as you clearly have no empathy for someone just wanting to vent her silly emotions) That I know Im being daft and emiotional.... so if you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all. Buster has been taken in from a small cage with a guenea pig to a lovely home. Yes Im cross, and yes its silly for me to be cross but thats why Im on here venting and not taking it out on my rabbit. As for the over enthusiasm.... her lip was torn in half and part of her chin ripped off which was hanging by a thred.

And I know how to bond, it my 3rd time. Im the girl who didnt leave the house for days and slept on the sofa so they wasnt alone for 1 second, even when I did eventually go out there was someone sat right by them till I got back. So before spouting about bonding, leaving them alone and supervision check out your facts.

And it was him and not Tonic... because my Son caught the tail end of it, seperated them and he kept going for Peggy and Tonic who were petrified

Last edited by a moderator:
A perfect post that I totally agree with. There is always a reason why a Rabbit suddenly becomes aggressive. No Rabbit is ever nasty out of malice.

Maybe so, but I came on here cos I was upset, still am. I dont expect people to go 'oh poor you moi, blah blah blah'. But as we all come on here for support I dont expect a post that makes me feel more rubbish than I do already. x

I completely understand how you feel. I think bonding brings out the most extreme of emotions. When if goes well it is amazing when it goes wrong it feels like the world has fallen apart.

When I tried to bond Barney he attacked Lois so badly she could have died. It happened in an instant, I couldn't stop it. She need a big op to stitch her back together. I think its hard on the surface not to struggle with your feelings towards the rabbit that did the attacking. Even though you know deep down he was just doing what rabbits do and it wasn't really his fault. I think some of that is from shock and guilt from seeing another rabbit you love hurt.

I couldn't bond Barney again after that even though he is a lovely friendly boy. So got a friend to do it and the bond was a dream and he is now happily bonded with another partner :)

I would say give yourself time, don;t make a decision now. Concentrate on looking after Peggy as she will need you and try to be kind to Buster too. Even if you can't bring yourself to cuddle him just yet, talk to him nicely and give him a few extra treats. Then take some deep breaths and work out what you will do when its all had time to setlle down x

Thank you, it is horrible isnt it. Is she ok now??? I know my feelings were overboard but like you say its the shock of seeing a loved one hurt. No different from humans I guess. If someone I love hurt another loved one Id be cross at them also.

Peggy is home now. Bless her she looks like shes had a chin tuck. All I could see was the lip, but she had had a huge chunck of her chin ripped off, and it was only hanging by a thred and they couldnt save it. Good job she has plenty of chin to compensate :) But shes happy and back with Tonic, shes had a little bit of banana as a treat (her fave) and they are currently sitting on the loo together munching some hay :)

Thanks for the that, as I said above my feelings are shock and emotions. And I come on here to vent them. I have not took this out on
Buster apart from in my mind. This morning he got a head rub and all the pampering that all my bunnys have. Because I do know that bunnys being bunnys this can happen... I have said in a previous thred that I felt guilty.... me! I took this risk not Buster. Again I will repeat (as you clearly have no empathy for someone just wanting to vent her silly emotions) That I know Im being daft and emiotional.... so if you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all. Buster has been taken in from a small cage with a guenea pig to a lovely home. Yes Im cross, and yes its silly for me to be cross but thats why Im on here venting and not taking it out on my rabbit. As for the over enthusiasm.... her lip was torn in half and part of her chin ripped off which was hanging by a thred.

And I know how to bond, it my 3rd time. Im the girl who didnt leave the house for days and slept on the sofa so they wasnt alone for 1 second, even when I did eventually go out there was someone sat right by them till I got back. So before spouting ten tonne of cra.p about bonding, leaving them alone and supervision check out your facts.

And it was him and not Tonic... because my Son caught the tail end of it, seperated them and he kept going for Peggy and Tonic who were petrified

I'm sorry you felt attacked. I was aware my wording was maybe harsher than normal but all I was actually doing was advocating for your bunny- on a bunny forum, it's what we all do best because we love and care for them.

However, what your reply has told me is that I did hit a nerve because you've lashed out heavily at me. Had I said something entirely irrelevant, it wouldn't have warranted such an intense reaction from you, so it might be worth thinking about that. I think you know you projected your anger onto him and that, as you say, it wasn't warranted, so advocating on his behalf, is a fair response to give, even if my wording wasn't at its greatest.

Personally, if the roles were reversed, once I had calmed down, I would see the valid point that was being made and would be glad someone had spoken up on bunny's behalf when I had lost the ability to see from their POV. But that may just be me, and, from the sounds of it, if you're venting, you don't actually want any reply, potentially, that challenges your view? I do have empathy for you, and have not indicated otherwise, but my biggest empathy was for Buster because it appeared that no one was considering him, and I felt sad for him, after all the trauma he has been through.

I'm glad your son was able to find them and separate, but my point was that you don't know what started it, that was all. I also never commented or critised your bonding methods as you will see, if you reread my reply- I looked from all angles and commented from both whether they should have had supervision, or whether they shouldn't. I don't think it's appropriate to make presumptions because, as you say, I don't know you, or your bunnies, or the facts and I didn't presume to.

I'm glad Peggy is home and I hope her recovery is a quick one. :)

Yes I felt guilty so it did hit a nerve. And Bunny forums are for Bunnys AND the owners. And I know I was being irrational, but I alsp had to vent. I cant do it to my real life friends as they think Im buts when it comes to my rabbits xAnyhow apolagies for my rant x

Thank you, it is horrible isnt it. Is she ok now??? I know my feelings were overboard but like you say its the shock of seeing a loved one hurt. No different from humans I guess. If someone I love hurt another loved one Id be cross at them also.

Peggy is home now. Bless her she looks like shes had a chin tuck. All I could see was the lip, but she had had a huge chunck of her chin ripped off, and it was only hanging by a thred and they couldnt save it. Good job she has plenty of chin to compensate :) But shes happy and back with Tonic, shes had a little bit of banana as a treat (her fave) and they are currently sitting on the loo together munching some hay :)

I think it is only human to struggle with emotions in such a situation, after all if you didn't care about your bunnies you wouldn;t feel anything!

I am glad she is recovering well. Many years ago we also had a similar injury and that healed well :) The bond was about 10 days old and there was a bad thunderstorm. Just as I was putting the bowl of food in there was one of those thunder claps that sound like your house is coming down and one locked on to the other ones bottom lip!

Thanks for asking about Lois. Physically she has healed well but psychologically she is now damaged :( She is terrified of other rabbits and every time I have tried to bond her since she attacks on the defensive. Before she was the sweetest most gentle girl, its really sad. These are her threads -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ave-vibes-having-emergency-surgery-Photos-p33

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?426020-Warning-Graphic-Photo-Lois-s-surgery

Did you change your mind about rehoming Buster?
Hope Peegy is still recovering well

Back