• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How To Educate Back Yard Rescues?

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hey all,

I know there are several back yard rescues on facebook and that they are trying to help but what can be done to educate them in current welfare standards?

One in particular is encouraging the use of tiny hutches and when someone challenged this they were told 6ft * 2ft * 2ft is an aspiration and that they were starting a war.

I know that their hearts are in the right place but allowing anyone to adopt without any standards is not better a situation than the poor bunny just came from.

Probably no real answer to this....

Hey all,

I know there are several back yard rescues on facebook and that they are trying to help but what can be done to educate them in current welfare standards?

One in particular is encouraging the use of tiny hutches and when someone challenged this they were told 6ft * 2ft * 2ft is an aspiration and that they were starting a war.

I know that their hearts are in the right place but allowing anyone to adopt without any standards is not better a situation than the poor bunny just came from.

Probably no real answer to this....

I think it often depends on how willing the individual is to listen. Many can be set in their ways- ie 'we have run this 'Rescue' for 25 years and we know what we are doing'. But the person fails to keep up with the evolving knowledge about Rabbit Welfare.

If the person is willing to listen and the messenger doesn't come across as preachy and bombastic.....or just plain rude, then there are numerous reputable sources of information regarding accommodation sizes etc...etc.

The RWAF being one source :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

Trying to bully a person into changing how they do things is pointless, the person will just tell the messenger to get lost. Gentle nudges in the right direction are always more effective than a hefty shove !!

Last edited:
There was someone near me who was a backyard rescue, he aspired to have hundreds of rabbits. He built his own 2ft hutches to rehome with the rabbits. I managed to gently point him in the direction of the RWAF but backed off then as he was sensitive and he and his wife had learning difficulties (a friend paid a visit and rescued from them a thoroughly shredded and beaten up bun, on speaking to his wife, she would only respond via the cat in the third person).

Going full on, as tempting as it is, always throws up brick walls. And some will never change.

I guess it's difficult as they are doing nothing illegal and are often giving similar advice as pet shop, only doing it with recycled rabbits ( so to speak). Whether is better for a rabbit to be alive in those circumstances ir PTS is a difficult call.
Personally i know it's very hard to take criticism or advise to do something differently when you are doing the best you can and you have to try and at least maintain an open mind.... Eg, I have increased the size of hutches over the years, stopped using shavings, I'm working on getting bigger and more runs but I won't stop using rabbit Royale because I am happy with that choice.
I've said it before, but I strongly feel there should be licensing for rescues and sanctuaries so at least the 'owners' must have basic knowledge, housing and awareness not to take in too many.

I guess it's difficult as they are doing nothing illegal and are often giving similar advice as pet shop, only doing it with recycled rabbits ( so to speak). Whether is better for a rabbit to be alive in those circumstances ir PTS is a difficult call.
Personally i know it's very hard to take criticism or advise to do something differently when you are doing the best you can and you have to try and at least maintain an open mind.... Eg, I have increased the size of hutches over the years, stopped using shavings, I'm working on getting bigger and more runs but I won't stop using rabbit Royale because I am happy with that choice.
I've said it before, but I strongly feel there should be licensing for rescues and sanctuaries so at least the 'owners' must have basic knowledge, housing and awareness not to take in too many.

I so agree with this. Whilst Breeders are always singled out for poor accommodation there are also Rescues/Sanctuaries who are similarly lacking. Just as anyone can set themselves up as a Breeder so anyone can set themselves up as a Rescue/Sanctuary.

Getting a good rescue to show them around their place as part of 'idea sharing' would be a good option if there is a willing rescue. Don't phrase it as showing them what to do but as learning from each other/sharing ideas.

A newsletter aimed at rescues/volunteers with info/tips written to them rather than general pet owners would be good if anyone has free time, I'd be happy to help set it up/organise sending but I couldn't write it regularly.

Back