• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I couln't rent an appartment because of my bunny

Tonya

Alpha Buck
Hey all

I just wanted to rant for a while...With my bf, we need to move out as soon as we can. Now we live with my sister, but my bf and my sister are both very dominant and there has been a lot of conflicts. Plus it's a small place and the whole living with both my sister and bf is kind of suffocating and weird. We started to look for a place and we called plenty of fake offers, the appartments were always "available for rent but will be sold soon", "the appartment is already rented by someone", or no one answers simply... Yesterday we saw the most beautiful, cute studio, we both liked it a lot, it was cheap and the location was good. We called this morning to hire it, and we informed the owners we have a bunny. They refused to give us the appartment. For those who don't know - Chrissy, my bunny, has no front teeth, only 1 eye, she hardly ever walks around freely and prefers to stay in her cage.She is pretty weak because of her chronic problems :( SHe is perfectly litter trained, doesn't smell and does no damage. Although we explained that they still said no :( I am really sad, if they could only see her they would know she is harmless, but people don't want to understand...She does no more damage than an aquarium fish...:cry:

Could you offer an extra deposit? It is so frustrating trying to rent with pets. That sometimes works.

Could you offer an extra deposit? It is so frustrating trying to rent with pets. That sometimes works.

We didn't but I doubt it will work - when we see our agent we'll offer him to use that. I forgot to mention that she is like 1,5 kg Nethie as well :(

We changed so many appartments with her and it's the first time when people actually think she'll be a problem.

I'd just move on and look for another - I find that if you lead by saying the bunny is housetrained and caged they understand a bit more, but you may have to offer a pet deposit too. I tend to ask before viewing so I don't waste my time looking at unsuitable places - if you get a house with a garden they tend to be more lenient too.

I'd just move on and look for another - I find that if you lead by saying the bunny is housetrained and caged they understand a bit more, but you may have to offer a pet deposit too. I tend to ask before viewing so I don't waste my time looking at unsuitable places - if you get a house with a garden they tend to be more lenient too.

I have no choice but to move on. The RE agent is the one communicating mostly with the owners, we explained him everything from the start...

It was the groundfloor of a house with a garden - would have been so beneficial for Chrissy to spend some time out...phew. Wish me luck with the next one. I really have to find something soon.

Good luck finding something. It is stressful when you have to move. I hope it all works out for you.

Offering extra deposit and saying they are caged is usually the most persuasive - I don't think many people understand/believe house trained.

Good luck!

I'll be jumped on for this but I'll say it anyway. Just tell the agent that your sister is prepared to adopt her and don't tell them. Mine is also no pets - I ensure that absolutely no damage to the property could ever be caused, and they have a day out when I have an inspection! Everyone's happy :D

Is the property you currently live in with your sister rented? Could you get a reference stating that your bunny is no trouble? Or maybe a letter from a vet?
I got a letter from my previous landlord stating he had inspected the property and no damage had been caused by rabbits and they were well kept. I gave that to my new landlord when I was looking at renting again and he was happy with that.

Back