• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this possible?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Binky and Bella are from the same litter (bought them from a pet shop before I knew better nearly 2yrs ago, shoot me down!)
They're netherland dwarfs x mini lop

Bella is bigger than Binky and its like shes the size of a lop as in her body but she has a really nethie like face especially when she strops

Binky is smaller quite noticeably actually but id say and she is about the size of a nethie in her body

They both have similar markings jusy in different colors

Is it possible for two rabbits from the same litters to get different 'genetics' for their body shape/size?

I look at Bella and think shes overweight compared to Binky but she isnt!
As babies Bella was always slightly bigger;
3c26a427141fb04e6784e4645c8859b4.jpg

Sorry for the effect on the photo its really old but Binky is smaller - doesnt look it in the photo cause of the angle though

Its been annoying me as im trying to see if their diets are right as they get the same but ones bigger :lol: thanks

I have two sisters from the same litter (so I was told by RSPCA anyway) and Millie has always been slightly heavier than Maddie. Millie has stumpy front legs and a bigger bum than Maddie :lol: Maddie has long graceful looking front legs and looks slimmer although there's barely anything in it weight wise. They have different face shapes too I think.

I have two sisters, Tessie and Daisy (from BARC). Tessie is brown with brown eyes and uppy ears and Daisy is white with blue eyes and almost lopped ears!

This shows the difference between my two. Millie (left) is chunkier looking I think and weighs slightly more than Maddie (Maddie was like 2.1kg and Millie 2.2something) but she's still within a healthy range the vet said.

Last edited:
I have two sisters from the same litter (so I was told by RSPCA anyway) and Millie has always been slightly heavier than Maddie. Millie has stumpy front legs and a bigger bum than Maddie :lol: Maddie has long graceful looking front legs and looks slimmer although there's barely anything in it weight wise. They have different face shapes too I think.

This shows the difference between my two. Millie (left) is chunkier looking I think and weighs slightly more than Maddie but she's still within a healthy range the vet said.
Ahh they're beautiful :love:

See i thought that if one was to get a nethie body shape the whole litter would, but looking into their eye color, weight etc they clearly had different dominant genes each!

I got confused because they have the same breed but different weights, yet the vet said they're both healthy for their weight!

I have two sisters, Tessie and Daisy (from BARC). Tessie is brown with brown eyes and uppy ears and Daisy is white with blue eyes and almost lopped ears!

Binky&Bella have different colored eyes but I never really looked into the genetics or dominant genes of them that you can see the differences just by looking at them!

I love lop ears :love: I used to have another nethie x mini lop who had one uppy ear and one lop ear :love:

This shows the difference between my two. Millie (left) is chunkier looking I think and weighs slightly more than Maddie (Maddie was like 2.1kg and Millie 2.2something) but she's still within a healthy range the vet said.

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread. Only awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Ahh they're beautiful :love:

See i thought that if one was to get a nethie body shape the whole litter would, but looking into their eye color, weight etc they clearly had different dominant genes each!

I got confused because they have the same breed but different weights, yet the vet said they're both healthy for their weight!

Obviously they're very similar too, they're sat in the exact same pose in that photo eating cecals (not so cute now!). They have very different personalities though. The only thing I could think for Millie being heavier is she's a bit smarter so she gets to the food first usually while Maddie is still wondering where it is (same place as always Maddie!). But I have their vet record from 3 months and Millie has always been a bit heavier so I'm not worried.

Obviously they're very similar too, they're sat in the exact same pose in that photo eating cecals (not so cute now!). They have very different personalities though. The only thing I could think for Millie being heavier is she's a bit smarter so she gets to the food first usually while Maddie is still wondering where it is (same place as always Maddie!). But I have their vet record from 3 months and Millie has always been a bit heavier so I'm not worried.

Bella will do anything for food like Millie and Binky wonders where it is! :lol::lol:

Its only when bella sits in certain positions she looks fat, im not sure though - I dont want her to be too heavy for the GA of her spay - its going to be worrying enough as it is!

I know a bit about genetics as I used to breed snakes and basic genetics knowledge is essential if you want to do that. Obviously I don't know rabbit genetics, but the principle is the same.

So with their parents, their genetic makeup is different - ones a mini lop, ones a Nethie. And it also depends on what genes they're carrying too, and whether they're recessive or dominant.

I'll give you this example of a pairing I did in 2012 with my het pie royals, Whiskey & Kristal. (Het is short for heterozygous, pie means piebald which is a colour morph in royal pythons. Like you can get yellow, chocolate and black labs. ) het pie means they carry the piebald gene, but they don't look like piebald as its recessive. They need one copy from their mother & one from their father to be piebald. A het only got a copy from its mother or father.

So I bred Whiskey & Kristal & she laid 5 eggs. Of those 5, I got one pie, 3 hets & 1 normal. So I got one visual piebald & 4 normal looking snakes, but 3 carried the piebald gene.

The law of genetics states that for every 4 eggs Kristal laid, I'd get one pie, one normal & two hets. Obviously it doesn't always work out that way in real life, but that's the principle.

So basically, you can get siblings that look totally different from each other due to genetic diversity from their parents, especially as they're a cross breed and not pure mini lop or Nethie. If you have siblings, you probably aren't identical because you have different genetic makeup, but you are still brother/sister & sister

Yes it's perfectly possible, in fact it is likely with cross breeds. As they were pet shop bunnies their parents are very unlikely to be pure-bred as well, so there's probably other breeds in the mix too.

When I was a kid, our BEW dwarf lop doe had a litter with an uppy-eared agouti buck and the litter was bunnies of all ear-types and colours that just must have been in the genetic mix somewhere, and they were slightly different sizes too.

This is Mulder and Scully at Rabbit Residence. They are brother and sister but sure don't really look it! They were born at The Mayhew when their mum was rescued from an abandoned pet shop.

IMG_9303_MulderScully.jpg

Scully has a whole lot of Lionhead
IMG_3317_Scully.jpg

Genetics can be a funny thing, especially in crossbreed bunnies.

Did once see one litter at Rabbit Residence, from plain agouti mum, a positively rainbow assortment of babies including a rex!

Did once see one litter at Rabbit Residence, from plain agouti mum, a positively rainbow assortment of babies including a rex!
I've certainly seen some 'moggy' litters with this sort of thing going on! Although cats get pregnant a bit different I think so not the same.

I know a bit about genetics as I used to breed snakes and basic genetics knowledge is essential if you want to do that. Obviously I don't know rabbit genetics, but the principle is the same.

So with their parents, their genetic makeup is different - ones a mini lop, ones a Nethie. And it also depends on what genes they're carrying too, and whether they're recessive or dominant.

I'll give you this example of a pairing I did in 2012 with my het pie royals, Whiskey & Kristal. (Het is short for heterozygous, pie means piebald which is a colour morph in royal pythons. Like you can get yellow, chocolate and black labs. ) het pie means they carry the piebald gene, but they don't look like piebald as its recessive. They need one copy from their mother & one from their father to be piebald. A het only got a copy from its mother or father.

So I bred Whiskey & Kristal & she laid 5 eggs. Of those 5, I got one pie, 3 hets & 1 normal. So I got one visual piebald & 4 normal looking snakes, but 3 carried the piebald gene.

The law of genetics states that for every 4 eggs Kristal laid, I'd get one pie, one normal & two hets. Obviously it doesn't always work out that way in real life, but that's the principle.

So basically, you can get siblings that look totally different from each other due to genetic diversity from their parents, especially as they're a cross breed and not pure mini lop or Nethie. If you have siblings, you probably aren't identical because you have different genetic makeup, but you are still brother/sister & sister
Ahh thankyou!
I know about genes like Hh and one being dominant and can draw the chart to show the odds of the traits I just wasn't sure if its the same for rabbits or if its like having identical twins but on a bigger scale!

Yes it's perfectly possible, in fact it is likely with cross breeds. As they were pet shop bunnies their parents are very unlikely to be pure-bred as well, so there's probably other breeds in the mix too.

When I was a kid, our BEW dwarf lop doe had a litter with an uppy-eared agouti buck and the litter was bunnies of all ear-types and colours that just must have been in the genetic mix somewhere, and they were slightly different sizes too.

Would be interesting to see a mum with a big size difference like a smaller lionhead mum to some cross breed giants!
I do find it interesting how all their genetics mix and the different rabbits you get out of it, though id obviously never breed!

This is Mulder and Scully at Rabbit Residence. They are brother and sister but sure don't really look it! They were born at The Mayhew when their mum was rescued from an abandoned pet shop.

IMG_9303_MulderScully.jpg

Scully has a whole lot of Lionhead
IMG_3317_Scully.jpg

Genetics can be a funny thing, especially in crossbreed bunnies.

They're gorgeous :love:
They don't look a-like though! They have different face shapes, but both still adorable :love:

I've certainly seen some 'moggy' litters with this sort of thing going on! Although cats get pregnant a bit different I think so not the same.

Ive noticed the same thing with them from my old neighbours accidental litter! Some had the tabby cat kind of stripes (im not a cat expert, just guessing!) But their mum didn't have the stripes - and the others had her kind of markings but different colors, it was really interesting!

Back