• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

convincing

Okay first things first no I'm not a child asking the top 10 ways to allow my mother to say yes to a rabbit only to be bored with it after 5 days.

I am 21yrs old and bought a house with my boyfriend a year ago.
I have since I was around 16 been OBSESSED with rabbits and have always said soon as I get a house I'd buy one,
Only problem is my boyfriends not so sure how can I convince a person whos not the greatest animal lover to allow me a Bunbun?

- Astriel

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Sorry if you already know, but rabbits should really be kept as a pair for company, the only exception to this is if you have a very human orientated rabbit that lives in the house as a house bunny, and you are at home for company for the majority of the time. they need a lot of space, they are very active and need a minimum of 6x2x2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ftx4ft. You would need money set aside for vets bills/insurance as they go downhill very quickly.

They can be litter trained mostly reasonably easily. I would suggest going to visit a rescue to adopt a pair of rabbits, get your boyfriend involved in the process helping to choose might help. You can get to know the rabbits personality then.

My other half was also fairly reluctant (although he did like rabbits generally) but when he saw the cute, sad little faces of our boys in their RSPCA enclosure he just melted and decided we HAD to have them. :lol:

They do take a lot of space and time though so make sure you know what you're in for. :)

My husband was the same, but when we visited the rescue and our two chose us (as it was definitely that way round) he was smitten pretty quickly!

Maybe find a decent rescue nearby and arrange a visit, getting hands on with them can help. People who don't understand bunnies (my husband was one of these) think they're boring and just sit there silently and don't do anything which is definitely not the case!

what do you know about rabbit care?

have you researched a rabbits needs?

Have you enough space for the rabbits needs?

do you know what vet care they need ie: vacs , neutering and the costs of treating the common illness of rabbits?

I ask so were not re telling you what you do know and can help with what you may not know

Thanks for the info guys taken him to the rescue centre on Wednesday he said he will have a look and see lol.

To answer those asking if I know about space and vet bills etc I am currently in my second year studying veterinary medicine and have been a qualified animal behaviourist since I was 19years old so I am more than aware of all requirements and have been researching rabbits for years.

I also have a good bit of money saved up over the years for my current pets and have saved up for a hutch, indoor c&c cage and I have plenty of back door space and a spare room that i'd have the bunnies in.

The only thing holding me back is my boyfriends decision as he just dislikes most animals and doesn't like small pets

Thanks for the info guys taken him to the rescue centre on Wednesday he said he will have a look and see lol.

To answer those asking if I know about space and vet bills etc I am currently in my second year studying veterinary medicine and have been a qualified animal behaviourist since I was 19years old so I am more than aware of all requirements and have been researching rabbits for years.

I also have a good bit of money saved up over the years for my current pets and have saved up for a hutch, indoor c&c cage and I have plenty of back door space and a spare room that i'd have the bunnies in.

The only thing holding me back is my boyfriends decision as he just dislikes most animals and doesn't like small pets

Sounds great :thumb: my OH makes out he's not a big animal lover, but he does love them really and talks to them in a gooey voice :love: he doesn't get involved in cleaning out duties but does feeding and giving out cuddles :thumb: hopefully your boyfriend will come round to the idea :thumb:

My OH is not a fan of the rabbits (allegedly) but I just went ahead and got them anyway & it was tough :lol: we don't live together though so it's a bit different. Now he loves my girls especially and really bonded with 4 of them when I was on holiday recently as he was looking after them for me (the other two were in boarding).

One of my bunnies sadly died earlier this year and he cried when digging the hole and burying him as he loved Badger too.

Back