• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

McVitie's advert

Meh. I don't think it's horrendous, but obviously would have been nicer if it hadn't have happened. The cuteness, though :love::love::love: I always squee out loud at their ads - especially the puppies :love::love::love:

Sadly, the tranced bunny spoilt it for me but the rest of it is very cute. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my thought as well. It just makes me sad that people with bunnies who don't know any better might think "aw look at that bunny just laying there, let's try that with ours".

After experiencing the filming of a 30 second clip for the news at my school when I was younger, which took about 20 minutes, I do hope the bunny wasn't tranced for very long.

Hideous and thoughtless. Apart from the obvious link made here between cute baby fluffy animals and Christmas (which most animal charities and rescue try to prevent specifically), seeing the rabbit on its back shows a total lack of research. I can just imagine people with rabbits seeing this and also thinking it's cute and having a go with their own.

Needless to say I've written to McVites to point this out as have a number of others who feel the same way and want to try and get the rabbit portion removed.

Towards the end of the advert, the rabbit is COMPLETELY tranced, flopped over backwards in the girl's hands. I'm writing a complaint as we speak.

ETA: it's at 40 seconds. The poor thing looks dead! :cry:

I'm not very clued up on trancing to be honest. I know it's not good for a bunny. To cut the nails of my two I sort of sit them up on my lap, hold their bums and tummies and hold them tipped slightly into my lap. They're not lay on their backs and they fidget about, so they're not tranced are they?

I'm not very clued up on trancing to be honest. I know it's not good for a bunny. To cut the nails of my two I sort of sit them up on my lap, hold their bums and tummies and hold them tipped slightly into my lap. They're not lay on their backs and they fidget about, so they're not tranced are they?

It's considered acceptable to trance for procedures such as nail clipping and essential health examinations - it may be the lesser of two evils than have a rabbit struggling and potentially injure themselves, trancing them though not ideal does mean that you can get the job done quickly. Trancing is not considered acceptable as a method of bonding (clearly that doesn't work if the rabbit is petrified).

It's considered acceptable to trance for procedures such as nail clipping and essential health examinations - it may be the lesser of two evils than have a rabbit struggling and potentially injure themselves, trancing them though not ideal does mean that you can get the job done quickly. Trancing is not considered acceptable as a method of bonding (clearly that doesn't work if the rabbit is petrified).

I don't think I am trancing them though, but I wondered how you know for sure. Do they completely stop moving? I don't think I'm tipping my two back enough to trance them and I don't think I need to or want to unless there was a necessity. They will sit for a few mins before fidgeting and a few more minutes before biting!

I think if the rabbit is still fidgeting then they are probably not tranced. Often a tranced rabbit will still lie completely immobile when you completely remove your hands from it as well. There are occasions when a bunny sort of has to be overturned- back nail clipping being one (although this can be done quicker and safer if bunny is not wriggling or kicking so better for bunny) and I have a long haired rabbit who needs his underside fur checked and groomed- although Mattie is very patient and has learned to settle when I'm doing this, he's clearly not tranced because he watches me and his head moves around. Thankfully he tends not to get knotty below so a quick process.

And I've just seen the Jaffa Cakes facebook page... not the response they were expecting I'm sure!

I don't think I am trancing them though, but I wondered how you know for sure. Do they completely stop moving? I don't think I'm tipping my two back enough to trance them and I don't think I need to or want to unless there was a necessity. They will sit for a few mins before fidgeting and a few more minutes before biting!

To be honest I don't think we could tell you for sure without a pic/video. It depends on the angle they are tipped back, and different rabbits seem to trance easier than others. They normally go quite still, but some will move, and many will have shaking feet. I don't think they'd be able to actively go to bite someone whilst tranced through, normally the head is still if fully tranced.

WOW, what a response! Do you reckon all those people are forum members?! I wonder if they will edit or change it now...

That is a lot of comments. I would think they'll have to seriously consider removing the rabbit scene if they get enough complaints on social media. They won't pull the ad as it's cost them loads but I reckon they can at least delete that one scene.

Back