• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mobile Vet Nurse??? u/d - I did it!!!!

daffodil.lemurs

Warren Scout
Does anyone know if there is a mobile vet nurse or similar service in Manchester?
I managed to give Otto his sub-cut abx yesterday but he was still quite dopey from the G.A. but I'm struggling so much today. At one point he leaped up with the syringe still in him before I pressed the plunger. I was wondering if anyone knew of a service where someone could come round and administer the meds for me. I don't have a car so normally get a taxi to and from the vets at £16 a time, and I'd obviously have to pay for the appointment and it would have to be after 6pm or I'd need to take leave from work, so going to the vets everyday is going to be really expensive and difficult. I'm so worried about stressing him out while he's so fragile and when he's wriggling i'm terrified i'm going to get it all over his fur!

Last edited:
which vets are you with? ashleigh vets is south manchester if that's close? although you may already use them!

which vets are you with? ashleigh vets is south manchester if that's close? although you may already use them!

Yeah it's Ashleigh that I already use. I know I could take him in and they would administer but it's just the cost of taxis there and back and then the appointment fee, if that's what I'll have to do then I will but was just hoping that someone might know of an alternative.
I might ask if there's an oral alternative as he's taking his oral meds no problem. The injecting looks so easy at the vets!!!!

It would depend which abx they are. If it is Baytril then you can get some oral med.

Do you have someone to hold him while you do it (that is what we normally do).

It would depend which abx they are. If it is Baytril then you can get some oral med.

Do you have someone to hold him while you do it (that is what we normally do).

They've given me Duphapen, it's penicillin based. He was on oral Metronidazole last time but I'm presuming they gave something stronger this time as the abscess came back.
Yeah I've got my boyfriend helping. He managed to give it yesterday with Otto on my lap after I got the plunger stuck the first time. I've diluted with some sterile water to make it easier but I think after the trauma yesterday he's just on edge today and knows exactly what's going on. He's too clever for me :oops:

We have just been prescribed depocillin for Rambo today to give every other day (he had fractured tooth last week and some infection). It can not be given orally.

I would just try to give your bun some cuddles and calm him (if he likes being held) and then try to get a good hold of the skin. My hubby does the needle wheras I do the cuddling ;)

Yeah it's Ashleigh that I already use. I know I could take him in and they would administer but it's just the cost of taxis there and back and then the appointment fee, if that's what I'll have to do then I will but was just hoping that someone might know of an alternative.
I might ask if there's an oral alternative as he's taking his oral meds no problem. The injecting looks so easy at the vets!!!!

ah ok. we have to get taxis there and back aswell and they soon add up. i had injections for both bisc and matt for three months and the vet made it look so easy, and i could manage bisc but matts skin was soooo tough, and the liquid would come back out! nightmare. definitely ask about an oral alternative aswell. :wave:

ah ok. we have to get taxis there and back aswell and they soon add up. i had injections for both bisc and matt for three months and the vet made it look so easy, and i could manage bisc but matts skin was soooo tough, and the liquid would come back out! nightmare. definitely ask about an oral alternative aswell. :wave:

Unfortunately any penicillin derivative cannot be given orally and MUST be injected. Otherwise it can be fatal for rabbits as it destroys all their gut bacteria.

Could you not book one vets appointment and have the vet train you how to do it properly? That's what I had to do when Barney needed injections, the vet showed me how to hold him, where to inject and how to basically do everything properly. There's no way I would have been able to do it without being shown by her, it definitely helped xx

Have you tried putting a bath mat or something else non slip on a kitchen/utility room surface and injecting him there? He'll soon learn he can't escape from the surface, plus it's a better height for you. I found it much easier at the beginning of injections with my bunny. You could try distracting him with food too.

I've not heard of a service but it sounds like a really good idea. It might be worth asking at the practice, it might be one of their vet nurses would do it on their way home for the taxi cost which at least saves you the stress.

I use Ashleigh also and it's quite a way for me too. When I had to give Cheeky injections twice daily I went to the vets around the corner and got one of the nurses to help me for a couple of days. It got easier after that . Have you not got one closer that you can ask for help?

Injecting a bunny can be tricky if you have never done it before- it does get easier with practice so don't panic :)
Just double check you have the correct needle head size. As the medicine is quite glupy it is important you have the correct size needle. Explain to the vet what is happening and they may change it.
It is much easy to administer on a kitchen work surface with bunny wrapped in a towel.
Also give them a little treat after so they associate it with something positive.
Good luck

I found with Nutmeg the thing that made it much easier was to give her a treat while doing the injecting, otherwise they get so flipping nosey at what is going on. I would get everything ready, pop her on my lap, give a treat, make a tent of skin, needle in, inject, out again. And this is coming from a person who completely flipped out at the idea after right royally mucking it up with Mischa.

It does get easier, have a look on youtube for some videos, get a feel for it before the time comes and most importantly relax, otherwise bunny will pick up on your nerves as well.

Oh good luck dear. We're going through the same, the bunnies sit like if they'll never jump and then hop! Trying to escape in the critical moment.

Give yourself some time, you'll get better with it. Now I manage to do it alone without even someone helping me. Try to find the right syringe/needle, because if it's too thin the medication might not pass through the needle so easily and it's a total disaster. Even if it's a bit thicker it will be easier for the bunny to wait for a sec than you chasing it 2-3 times after trying to make the medication flow. Vet visits would be even more stressful I assume :(

I did it!!!!!! [emoji1]
Got my friend round who's injected her rats before and between me, her and my boyfriend we enticed him into the Cabrio, closed the front door, opened the top and draped a blanket over his head. I held his bottom half and my friend supported his head and neck while my boyfriend injected. He flinched slightly but gave him some basil and he was fine!
Thanks for all the reassurance everyone...now just the matter of rebonding him and Pippa. Oooohhh the joys of owning buns [emoji6]

I did it!!!!!! [emoji1]
Got my friend round who's injected her rats before and between me, her and my boyfriend we enticed him into the Cabrio, closed the front door, opened the top and draped a blanket over his head. I held his bottom half and my friend supported his head and neck while my boyfriend injected. He flinched slightly but gave him some basil and he was fine!
Thanks for all the reassurance everyone...now just the matter of rebonding him and Pippa. Oooohhh the joys of owning buns [emoji6]

I am pleased :) hope bonding goes smoothly!

Back