• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Xmas bunny biscuits -

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
I am thinking of doing some xmas bunny biscuits to try and raise funds to pay our vets bills - in addition to the willow and forage we sell -

I could either do human biscuits (shortbread) in the shape of bunnies with a cinnamon sugared dusting: or biscuits for bunnies -

Biscuits for bunnies are actually easier and a bit cheaper to do (not so much of the costly butter and sugar ingredients and they are less fussy over whether they rise!!! lol!!)

does anyone know if Liz at Rainbow Rabbits is doing biscuits for bunnies this xmas as I would not want to tread on her toes as their sanctuary is so very special!

and does anyone think they might be interested in either if I worked out costs etc? Not sure how to post without having to but lots of padded bags . . . .

thank you for help

PS mods this is not a selling thread its a does anyone know thread - so can we keep it here for now and I will start ne in the selling bit if I go ahead with either idea!

Thought it would be easier to log on here to reply.

I have already sold 250 bags on fb for Christmas!! I have a few more going up for sale on Friday on fb but many more people interested than I have biscuits so definitely still people interested :) I wont be making any more after friday.

I am charging £3 postage as royal mail are doing up to 2kg for £2.80 so 20p goes towards jiffy bags and biscuits bags and labels. It doesn't cover the whole cost of packaging but helps.

I know you have a different cooker to me so might not have the same problems as us, but I am sick of pasta, cheese sandwiches and going to the chippy. Can't wait for a plate of roast potatoes ;)

Thanks Liz - so I guess if I thought of selling either human ones or bunny ones that would be ok if you have more orders than biscuits? I really dont want to tread on any toes and you are indeed the bunny biscuit queen!

May I ask what weight of biscuits/ or alternatively number of biscuits you sell for what cost as well as postage? sorry to be cheeky . . I did try and check out the RR website but couldnt see any on there just the calenders etc . . silly me.

Thanks Liz - so I guess if I thought of selling either human ones or bunny ones that would be ok if you have more orders than biscuits? I really dont want to tread on any toes and you are indeed the bunny biscuit queen!

May I ask what weight of biscuits/ or alternatively number of biscuits you sell for what cost as well as postage? sorry to be cheeky . . I did try and check out the RR website but couldnt see any on there just the calenders etc . . silly me.

You certainly wont be treading on my toes now as I am sick of the flippin things :lol: I wont be making more until next year now.

I am currently selling the christmas shaped ones for £3 a bag. I am keeping it simple by charging £3 for everything. There are 10 biscuits per bag with standard size shapes. Probably around 3 inches?

I think by the time you have paid out for packaging, pellets, oats and ingredients you really need to sell them in bulk to make a decent profit. Especially given how long they take to cook too. We bake for around 6 hours on a low heat. I think thats what makes our so popular. Now I am giving you my trade secrets ;)

Just a thought, for either of you, but instead of selling actual biscuits - how about selling the ingredients, plus the dry forage (flavouring) to go in them in a kit with a recipe. Like they sell those human just bake mixes or the fancy gift mixes for cakes or hot choc etc. Might cut down on the baking time.

Just a thought, for either of you, but instead of selling actual biscuits - how about selling the ingredients, plus the dry forage (flavouring) to go in them in a kit with a recipe. Like they sell those human just bake mixes or the fancy gift mixes for cakes or hot choc etc. Might cut down on the baking time.

This is such a good idea!!!

I'd suggest getting some boxes so they can fit through as Royal Mail large letter. Similar to Graze box sizes.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TRAMIKI-SU...b=12118334&_sid=14118411&_sid=14118411&_rdc=1

We use this supplier for our packaging, up to 250g is only £1.24 to post

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/1st-class-mail?intcampaignid=CLT_0613_LP_22

Don't know how you would stop the biscuits breaking in the post though. I say sell some bunny biscuits with your tasty sounding forage!

I have had no success sending them as a large letter. They can only be 2.5cm thick and a bag of biscuits is way thicker than that. I tried to flatten it down to send out one bag as a large letter but they move during posting and then the buyer ends up having to pay a fee to get them!

One bag usually weighs over 100g and most people buy multiple bags to make it worth while so I would recommend sending them all small packet.

All my biscuits are made with fresh fruit, veg or herbs with exception of fenugreek ones :)

Good idea. :thumb:

I would love something like that! My daughter has a whole recipe book on yummy things to make for her rats and I'd love to be able to do something similar for the buns! :)

we have a rayburn which runs the cooking/heating/hot water (like an Aga but runs everything instead of just cooking) so can make use of the evening session to cook the bunny biscuits - have just remembered I have a whole freezer full of home made apple puree from our own apples as well - so tonight I will experiment with apple flavoured bunny biscuits (for bunnies) and perhaps some minty ones over the weekend - they are much harder than human biscuits so easier to send in post!

I have a selection of willing tasters here . .

Apple and mint......my lot would definitely want some of those. Bentley will be drooling at the very thought!

we have a rayburn which runs the cooking/heating/hot water (like an Aga but runs everything instead of just cooking) so can make use of the evening session to cook the bunny biscuits - have just remembered I have a whole freezer full of home made apple puree from our own apples as well - so tonight I will experiment with apple flavoured bunny biscuits (for bunnies) and perhaps some minty ones over the weekend - they are much harder than human biscuits so easier to send in post!

I have a selection of willing tasters here . .

I have sent them to america and one parcel went to the ukraine, got lost and returned a month later to us and not one biscuit broken!! :lol:

Good luck with the baking. I expect you will have some happy bunnies too, I know mine always beg for the off cuts :love:

Back