• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone else hutch get mouldy inside???

moi

Mama Doe
It looks ok on the floor and walls but the inside ceiling is covered in mould? Is this normal? What can I use to clean it x

have you tried boiled vinegar? in the bible, vinegar is used for mildew. and we use boiled vinegar to clean rabbit trays, so it can't be too dangerous.

On my (soon to be old) current hutch we added wood to the long legs to make it a double with ramp. I've noticed that the bits we added have started to mould on the outside so I put it down to the wrong wood being used as the original hutch legs and supports were fine. It's worrying isn't it :?
I'm worried that more will start to mould...

On my (soon to be old) current hutch we added wood to the long legs to make it a double with ramp. I've noticed that the bits we added have started to mould on the outside so I put it down to the wrong wood being used as the original hutch legs and supports were fine. It's worrying isn't it :?
I'm worried that more will start to mould...

it is worrying, I know mould can be harmful to humans lungs. Wonder if its the same with byns. I shall try the boiled vinegar x

What is boiled vinegar? Just ordinary vinegar boiled?

The hares' shed grows white fluffy mould every few days ... waiting to get money to get them a dehumidifier to dry it out.

I am sure its bad for them. Even the posh shed where the quad are gets a bit of mould (outside only so far).

Good ventilation is meant to help. I must drill some tiny holes near the roof on all four sides of my sheds. That may help your hutch as well.

Last edited:
What is boiled vinegar? Just ordinary vinegar boiled?

The hares' shed grows white fluffy mould every few days ... waiting to get money to get them a dehumidifier to dry it out.

I am sure its bad for them. Even the post shed where the quad are gets a bit of mould (outside only so far).

Good ventilation is meant to help. I must drill some tiny holes near the roof on all four sides of my sheds. That may help your hutch as well.
Hes currently got plenty of ventilation as the hutch is not covered in any way yet x

I have got black mould in the top corner of my rabbit hutch. I do keep it covered so I think this is contributing to it, though I hardly ever cover the front so there is good airflow. I haven't had chance to clean it yet. I have had it previously and wiped it down with milton.

Yeah I'd scrub with vinegar, that works well in my experience.

I can't remember if I got mold on my hutches, it's been awhile since I've kept my buns outdoors, but they did get algae and moss on them. Even fungus sometimes I think. That's why I don't like using wood for enclosures much if I can help it. in Florida it's just not ideal, I guess since it rains so much.

Its lack of ventilation, if it can not dry out it will get damp and then mould will grow on it.

It’s the reason I make my shutters larger than they need to be as you need good air flow to stop it staying damp inside. Also I advise against covering with anything as this can have the same effect by blocking out the air.

Hes currently got plenty of ventilation as the hutch is not covered in any way yet x

Could it be getting mouldy because you haven't got it covered. If rain and damp is getting into the hutch, it might not be able to dry out properly in this weather.

We have our hutch covered with tarpaulin which we will leave down during the day if it is wet.

I have mould in the Summer House half way up the walls :evil: they are coming on 19 December to have a look £800 + it cost me for the buns and it's only been up 6 months they better fix it :censored:

My hutches did get some but a good airing and I think I used bleach water or possibly vinegar to clean it and touch wood its stayed away but fully covered I just keep an eye on them and wipe straight away if I find any :)

I have mould in the Summer House half way up the walls :evil: they are coming on 19 December to have a look £800 + it cost me for the buns and it's only been up 6 months they better fix it :censored:

My hutches did get some but a good airing and I think I used bleach water or possibly vinegar to clean it and touch wood its stayed away but fully covered I just keep an eye on them and wipe straight away if I find any :)

Do you not have air vents around the roof?

Its lack of ventilation, if it can not dry out it will get damp and then mould will grow on it.

It’s the reason I make my shutters larger than they need to be as you need good air flow to stop it staying damp inside. Also I advise against covering with anything as this can have the same effect by blocking out the air.

Theres loads of ventilation, 2 big meshed doors and a hole in the side for the short runaround tube x

Theres loads of ventilation, 2 big meshed doors and a hole in the side for the short runaround tube x
Well either there is a leak by the roof or it’s not enough airflow to the part of the roof that has the problem.

If air got to it, it would dry out but it won’t dry out if it keeps getting wet by a leak or whatever.

Only trying to help, you'll be surprised about how much airflow is needed.

Do you not have air vents around the roof?

The window is open 24/7 just to first notch or next door cat goes in and cannot get out and ends up in the run :roll: he has done it twice good job I was in :shock:

There are no air vents in the sides :? Maybe the supplier will have a solution I can share ;)

It's damp that causes it but there can be various reasons for it to get damp e.g. the roof is leaking, the water in the air is condensing when it hits the roof (like getting water on the inside of windows in winter) and it being too well wrapped up.

I'd start by ruling out a leak, flat roofs are more prone to it as the water sits on them rather than rolling down and off.

If your ramp is getting mouldy I'd try lifting the end slightly so it doesn't touch the floor, doesn't need to be much something like a plastic bottle cap underneath just means it doesn't sit in water on the ground and wick up water. Check any steps too, they are prime places for water to sit, a little hole allowing the water to fall through or a very slight slop sideways means it rolls off instead of sitting. A good coat of wood preservative will help too.

Sadly it sounds like you need vents by the roof, houses have air bricks/vents along the roof to stop the joists etc rotting. Same thing is need with sheds ideally, the roof needs air flowing from one direction just under the roof and I would do two vents each side.

So the air comes in and out the same direction.

I shall have to check for a leak. The roof is flat, could that be a problem?? x
No roof should be 100% flat, it should have a slope on it so the rain drips off?

If i remember correctly a flat roof has a pitch of 10 degrees and under.
But yes that be a good place to start as if the water can not drip down or of the roof it may find a small hole to enter inside.

Back