• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Low red and white blood cell count

weedug

Mama Doe
Bailey had a recent case of not eating for some days. His blood tests showed a very low red blood cell count, almost to the point of needing a transfusion. His white blood cell count was also low. Last blood test they were up very slightly, but still low. Other bloods were fine other than the liver being slightly raised.

The thought is that he has a problem with his gut. Everything seems to move really slowly. So either slow gut or megacolon.

Urine test was ok, bladder was seen on x-ray and was ok. Liver was enlarged. He is eating huge amounts to try to maintain his weight.

He was on Septrin for 10 days. Second blood test was taken after he had been on it for 6 days.

What could the causes be for the low blood cell count? Could it be problems absorbing things from his food? And if it is food, what food would give him what he needs?

Bailey had a recent case of not eating for some days. His blood tests showed a very low red blood cell count, almost to the point of needing a transfusion. His white blood cell count was also low. Last blood test they were up very slightly, but still low. Other bloods were fine other than the liver being slightly raised.

The thought is that he has a problem with his gut. Everything seems to move really slowly. So either slow gut or megacolon.

Urine test was ok, bladder was seen on x-ray and was ok. Liver was enlarged. He is eating huge amounts to try to maintain his weight.

He was on Septrin for 10 days. Second blood test was taken after he had been on it for 6 days.

What could the causes be for the low blood cell count? Could it be problems absorbing things from his food? And if it is food, what food would give him what he needs?

Could be Hepatic Coccidiosis maybe ?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

Sending more vibes for him xx

No advice here I'm afraid but lots and lots of vibes for Bailey to be feeling better soon. xxxxx

Sorry I'm no help, but sending huge get better vibes for little Bailey. Hope they can find the cause soon xxxx

Thanks for the replies. My vet checked his poops for something, but I forget what. I assume the coccidiosis would have shown up with that? He has had bloods and x-rays and scans too.

He seems to be doing a little bit better now. I'm sure it's the salazopyrin tablets that are making the difference, although most of his poops are still mega sized.

Just don't see why he would be so anaemic to the point of almost needing a transfusion :?

He is at the vet again on Monday, and hopefully will be seeing the woman who admitted him, so I will see is she can answer some of my questions.

Sending lots vibes when Mabel was once aneamic and liver results of concern, I fed her baby spinach and brocolli

No advice here I'm afraid but lots and lots of vibes for Bailey to be feeling better soon
HrkeQk

It's quite common for animals with a long term chronic illness to become anaemia, it's a regular occurrence with our cats in renal failure.
If you think is to do with diet, it could be pernicious anaemic, no food will help as its due to lack of B12, which makes sense if it's a gut issue.
For either case I would get a vitamin injection and an anabolic steroid injection, one of the reasons ruminants and hind gut fermenters do what they do is to allow bacteria produce vitamin 12, because it's rare in a plant diet- the reason vegans need to take supplemented food.
The low white blood cell could could be due to a number of reasons, antibiotics may help unless it's due to something like lymphoma/ leukemia.
Sorry this isn't very positive but with my renal cats we get monthly anabolic steroid and vitamin injections and this keeps them well for longer, I believe.

the only experience i have with these is bisc became anaemic when he had dental problems. his anaemia was regenerative so he built his red blood cells back up quickly, although he was very poorly and thin for a while. matt needed a transfusion and it was because of an internal bleed. could this have been the case? maybe it's stopped again and he is replacing his cells again? sounds like he is fighting something inside, but hard to know what. x

Back