• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nzw dam died 6 days after giving birth

questkid87

New Kit
Hello new here and to rabbit breeding i had 3 other successful breed rabbits. 9 month old first time mother give birth to 11 healthy kits and slowyand sadly they pass and 2 day after the last of her kits passedshe pass. She wouldnt eat her feed.(which i changed out 3 times ) But she would drink, eat kale ,carrats hay and ccafe manna. Im sorry i didnt tke her to a vet but im still not sure on what really happen

I'm sorry to hear of your loss :(

A rabbit going off their food is usually a sign that they are ill and need to see a vet urgently. I imagine it was probably linked to her pregnancy and birth, especially as the litter was very big, but if you have any other rabbits please do keep a close eye on them just in case it was something contagious, just to be on the safe side.

I hope you're okay x

Last edited:
Sounds as though it may have been pregnancy toxaemia :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pregnancy_toxaemia_lagomorphs.htm

I am sorry for your loss, but really you should have sought Veterinary attention for her. I think you probably realise that now and hopeful you will not make the same mistake again

I would strongly advise you not to continue Breeding at this stage and if you are determined to pursue it at a later date then please do a lot of research first and also seek advice from a reputable and highly experienced Breeder. Breeding Rabbits involves a lot more than putting a Doe to a Buck and hoping for the best.

Have you found a Foster Doe for the orphaned Kits ?

Sounds as though it may have been pregnancy toxaemia :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pregnancy_toxaemia_lagomorphs.htm

I am sorry for your loss, but really you should have sought Veterinary attention for her. I think you probably realise that now and hopeful you will not make the same mistake again

I would strongly advise you not to continue Breeding at this stage and if you are determined to pursue it at a later date then please do a lot of research first and also seek advice from a reputable and highly experienced Breeder. Breeding Rabbits involves a lot more than putting a Doe to a Buck and hoping for the best.

Have you found a Foster Doe for the orphaned Kits ?
From what I read it sounds like the babies died then the mum :(

Back