• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After saying no more....

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We have taken in 2 more rabbits, although I may look at rehoming them, my big issue is that it's so hard to trust people after being let down so often.
Anyway, I was called by the social work about a lady with serious issues who had 2 male rabbits, seperated in a 2 tier hutch, I've been told because they don't get on. The lady cannot afford to feed herself, wasn't handling or cleaning them and agreed to Rehome them. They tried some more we'll know rescues and were given our number, although this is not something we tend to do, we felt these rabbits were at risk.
The boys arrived today, one is in good condition although his nails are very long and he is timid, the other is skeletal and you can feel all his vertebrae, he hasn't stopped eating hay since he arrived, he's not interested in hiding because he is so hungry.
They are both in for vet checks and possibly vaccinations tomorrow and once well enough they will be castrated.

We have also fostered a 14 year old cat whose owners are in their 90's and have to go into a care home. The cat was going to be PTS but the vet refused and contacted a lady they know, who put him on free cycle and a lady involved in rescue contacted her and then contacted us.
Now I know it's good the vets didn't PTS, but this is the problem when they do, where do the animals go, it's going on freecycle to an unknown home with no checks any better than PTS? Especially as it appears the cat has not been castrated and because we can't take him immediately he has gone to a local Cattery who have fitted him in free until we can take him next Monday!

Last edited:
Wow, you guys really are amazing, poor cats owners, they must have been so sad but now so happy that their little furry friend gets a great forever home xx

At the moment the cat is also being fostered as the lady who contacted us has someone interested in him, but they can't take him til the 16th. We really cannot afford any more animals, he may need to be castrated, blood tested and vaccinated. The rabbits need to be vaccinated and castrated. They then need to be cared for during the rest of their lives and we are taking in very few donations, certainly nowhere near the £2700 it takes to run this place. The bulk of the money is from our wages and the money from the sale of my mum's house has bought all the new housing this year as well as topping our monthly bills.

I really don't know how you guys do it.
We live with my mum so that we can all afford to have the land to keep the animals. We have 3 ponies, 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs, 1 chinchilla and 1 hamster. My mum has 3 ponies 5 pigs, 2 dogs and 2 cats and it costs a lot.
Before my parents split up we used to take on lots of old or sick horses and sheep but my dad is loaded so it wasn't a problem. When we moved here it was really hard and we decided we had to stop through lack of funds. We have taken on a couple of very old dogs and the guinea pigs, rabbits and hamster where all animals no one wanted anymore. Actually so where mums pigs but we absolutely can't take anymore and it's horrible and so hard when you have to say no.
Our neighbour is a horse rescue and times are tough. The massive increase in food prices for the large animals vets bills etc make every year harder, coupled with the awful winters we keep having times are very very hard.
What you guys do is beyond difficult it's a very hard life physically, emotionally and financially. It doesn't matter how you're feeling or what's going on every single day you have to work so hard.
You really are truly amazing I have so much admiration and respect for you guys, bless you xxxx

Poor bunnies and poor cat, I know they are going in a home and elderly but still don't know why they couldn't neuter 14 years ago, when they were still in their 70's and now wanted to pts, being elderly is no excuse, even at 100 my Gran had her marbles and if she had a cat someone in the family would have cared for it. Why would you want your beloved cat pts ?

Anyway must be frustrating for you especially with money so tight. You are a good person.

Back