• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry sneezing - related to teeth/mouth problems?

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Hoping someone experienced sees this as I'm always unsure of whether to put Priscilla through the stress of a vet's visit, she gets very upset.

She's been dry sneezing for the past two days. I say dry as they just sound like 'huffs' and her nose seems dry and clean.

She's got small spurs on her teeth but she's never had them treated - the vet thought that they'd possibly wear down on their own as she's such a good hay eater and likes chewing her wooden toys, and he wanted to give this a chance before going down the dental route. She's not had any apparent pain or discomfort previously.

The only reason I thought it was maybe connected was that my dad looked after the buns for me yesterday and said she was 'chewing funny', moving food from one side of her mouth to the other. I'd dismiss it but my dad's normally very perceptive, he noticed Barney having tummy trouble last year and rushed him to the vets early enough to get it sorted.

She's still eating and pooing okay so I'm reticent to stress her out and take her in, but I've got a gut feeling she'll need to be checked :( If someone has any idea what the dry sneezing could be I'd be really glad to hear it's not connected to the teeth!

Personally I would take her to the Vet. 'Dry' sneezes can sometimes (but NOT always !!) be indicative of a problem lower down in the respiratory tract.

Some Rabbits do sneeze if they have problems with elongated tooth roots. Given that there might be some oral discomfort going on I would get the Vet to check both both her chest and her teeth

Good luck xx

bisc dry sneezes and he has had problems with both snuffles and teeth so i think it does sound like a check-up is needed. what i do is provisionally book the dental/xrays/tests for the same day as the appointment just incase and then you're not having to come back and forth again. x

I thought it would end up as a vets trip :( I'll give them a ring in the morning.

That's a good idea about booking an X-ray slot just in case, I'll ask the vets about that :thumb:

My Barney has chronic snuffles and dry sneezes when it flares up. It could be unrelated to the dental problems but pain weakens the immune system and can allow other illnesses to take hold. I'd definitely pop her to the vets for a thorough inspection, these things are best dealt with sooner rather than later.

I thought it would end up as a vets trip :( I'll give them a ring in the morning.

That's a good idea about booking an X-ray slot just in case, I'll ask the vets about that :thumb:

hopefully they should be fine about it if you explain. ours do it for people travelling far to get there, and for pets who don't travel well etc. definitely worth asking anyway. good luck x

Best of luck at the vet's tomorrow. Will check this thread for updates. Priscilla is one of my ru faves.

Hoping someone experienced sees this as I'm always unsure of whether to put Priscilla through the stress of a vet's visit, she gets very upset.

She's been dry sneezing for the past two days. I say dry as they just sound like 'huffs' and her nose seems dry and clean.

She's got small spurs on her teeth but she's never had them treated - the vet thought that they'd possibly wear down on their own as she's such a good hay eater and likes chewing her wooden toys, and he wanted to give this a chance before going down the dental route. She's not had any apparent pain or discomfort previously.

The only reason I thought it was maybe connected was that my dad looked after the buns for me yesterday and said she was 'chewing funny', moving food from one side of her mouth to the other. I'd dismiss it but my dad's normally very perceptive, he noticed Barney having tummy trouble last year and rushed him to the vets early enough to get it sorted.

She's still eating and pooing okay so I'm reticent to stress her out and take her in, but I've got a gut feeling she'll need to be checked :( If someone has any idea what the dry sneezing could be I'd be really glad to hear it's not connected to the teeth!

Dry sneezing could also be due to an allergy to something .. hay, grass that's got up her nose. Or it could be due to an infection in the respiratory tract.

I think the significant thing is that you trust your Dad's instinct and he's been right before.

I hope you get on OK at the vet's tomorrow. Vibes for Priscilla xx

Dry sneezing could also be due to an allergy to something .. hay, grass that's got up her nose. Or it could be due to an infection in the respiratory tract.

I think the significant thing is that you trust your Dad's instinct and he's been right before.

I hope you get on OK at the vet's tomorrow. Vibes for Priscilla xx

hope it turns out to be something simple like this for her, this is like mabel she has a sensitivity to hay , which doesn't help when she loves it and goes in head first, there was also an article in rabbiting on magazine about a sneezy bun and turned out it kept getting hay seeds up his nose

Thanks for all your comments :)

Unfortunately we didn't make it to the vets due to my car breaking down in the cold, plus the outdoor bunnies' shed freezing over :( The buns are fine thankfully, but I've had to drop everything and spent all of yesterday insulating and sealing the inside of the shed (I still remember my cousin's rabbits dying of the cold when I was little, so the fact it got so cold so quickly terrified me.)

So Priss is now booked in first thing tomorrow with instructions to bring her in earlier if it worsens.

Saw the vet today and Priscilla's teeth don't look any worse than last time she saw her :thumb: Vet thought it might be something has gotten stuck up her nose so she's had her nostrils flushed out with water and she's been given some anti-inflammatory and something to open up her airways. So touch wood this solves it and she won't need to go back for further investigation :)

What a relief the vet doesn't think it's serious.

I hope she continues to stay well, ad that you manage to get your shed insulated OK for the winter!! xx

Saw the vet today and Priscilla's teeth don't look any worse than last time she saw her :thumb: Vet thought it might be something has gotten stuck up her nose so she's had her nostrils flushed out with water and she's been given some anti-inflammatory and something to open up her airways. So touch wood this solves it and she won't need to go back for further investigation :)

Cars, dont you just love how they always chose the most inconvenient time to refuse to start ...........:evil:

It's good to hear that Priscilla's teeth have not got any worse. Hopefully her sneezing is resolving now. I am sure the Bunnies will appreciate all your hard work insulating their shed xx

Back