• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Confusing Rabbit Behavior :(

Kyoreji

New Kit
Hi, everyone. Im a new rabbit owner. I have 3 rabbits, Milky, Oreo and Benji. They are 3months old now. They havent been spayed or neutered. Benji is caged alone, while Oreo and Milky is caged together. What is bothering me nowadays is, Oreo (female) suddenly thumping her feet to the ground while all of them were playing around. Especially when milky is approaching her. Milky is a female maybe? still not sure about this. Whereas Oreo and Milky get along well together in a cage (they're cuddling, licking each other, Oreo often put down her head under Milky's body or neck), but when they're playing outside (i let them playing around in a room) they were fighting. Oreo suddenly thumping and running when Milky was near her. But Milky seems not intense at first. After Milky saw Oreo doing that, she was chasing Oreo and Oreo hiding somewhere. I was shocked, and i separate them both for a while and then put them again together in a cage. At first Oreo frightened by Milky, but then they get along well again when in cage.

What i am confuse about is, every they play around outside, Oreo was doing the same thing over and over again. And when in cage, they're so sweet to each other. I just dont know what to do :(

Do you guys have any idea what's wrong with Oreo or Milky? :shock::shock::cry::cry:
Thanks a lot! :)

It sounds like normal dominance behaviour. It sounds like they are arguing over who is dominant - it may be that one of the rabbits is established as dominant in their territory, but when they are let into strange territory the submissive rabbit tries to become dominant, which causes them to bicker.

Does benji go out into the room? Or do you ever let just Oreo or just Milky out alone? These could be making the situation worse because the territory of the room has already been claimed by one rabbit alone and not accepted by the others.

This is probably happening now because they have just hit their teenage stage, they are becoming hormonal and hormones lead to bickering. Any male rabbits will also now be fertile at 12 weeks old, so it is very important that you get the rabbits sexed by an experienced vet as soon as possible.

When they are old enough (males 12 weeks, females 15-24 weeks old) you can get them neutered and this should help calm things down and enable them to live peacefully with other rabbits. This is especially important for males, as they can become aggressive and bully other rabbits badly if they are not neutered.

Back