• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny progress in new home..

Fellie

Warren Veteran
There's nothing like a new home to bring out the true nature of buns I am finding - and in some ways delighting me and in others worrying me.

Bug and Prudhoe - Prudhoe is the first one who has made it all the way down the stairs last night - and has now discovered the big exciting world of 'downstairs'. Bug is getting there and has about 4 steps to get down but she is has changed - she is now the most adorable, soppiest bun ever - possibly from being with mad Prudhoe or just having a new world to discover - or even the Pet Remedy diffuser we use - whatever it is Prudhoe and Bug are very happy little creatures and Prudhoe loves nothing better than scamperiing at high speed up the stairs and then binkying across the landing.

However - Holly and Sheldon worry me - they get all excited about a coming out but then lose their nerve on coming out onto the landing and bolt back into their pen and just stay there - I can get them out with treats but they quickly eat those and run back to their pens. Sometimes they stay out and investigate and have a lovely time - but for the most part they are just too scared - and haven't even approached the stairs. On Saturday night he was doing 'bunny 500's and binkying like a loon' - last night he was terrified.

Lenny and Cheyenne are better - they do spend time out on the landing as do Bobo and Harley so it's just a matter of time with them I think - and the landing is quite a large area so they are getting exercise and are binkying happily when out. Bobo and Harley are great too - lots of binkying from them.

It's just Holly and Sheldon - and they surprise me especially Sheldon who is normally so forward and curious and not scared of anything - he's still gobbles up his food and in his pen he is fine - but is a scared little boy when out of it. It's very strange - I hope in time he learns that it is safe.

It took Millie and Maddie quite a while to use the stairs. We had lots of shuffling down the first step and then changing their mind. Then they would do 3 or 4 steps only. It took Millie longer than Maddie to make it to the bottom and I used bribery in the end. They love running up and down there. It only leads to the front door as I live in a flat so it's not very interesting but they still love doing it!

I think its a matter of time from what you say.Sometimes it just seems to take ages for bunnies to get used to new things.Obviously being prey animals they can worry about the slightest thing and if one of a pair is wary of something the other will pick up the vibes.Im sure they'll gain confidence and be fine every time soon.

Is there much cover on the landing? You could try some boxes or tunnels so they've got protection without having to go all the way back to their pen. You could try pop up tunnels as a route onto the landing, put them in the same place each time so they learn where the bolt holes are.

Is there much cover on the landing? You could try some boxes or tunnels so they've got protection without having to go all the way back to their pen. You could try pop up tunnels as a route onto the landing, put them in the same place each time so they learn where the bolt holes are.

That is a fabulous idea (thank you) - Sheldon and Holly have to pass the other pens on their way to the landing and that might just be making them anxious (even though they are covered) - and giving them tunnels (which they love anyway) - might be the way to go. They do have little hidey places (snuggly cat houses) which came with them from their old home and they do use those once they decided to stay out.

We've got all the time in the world for them to get their confidence up - and it has only been 2 weeks afterall - just shows how different they all are :love:

Back